Ryan1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
White Bear Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
94 explorer mile marker lockouts.

truck is in the driveway in park, hubs unlocked. I crawl under I turn the front driveshaft with ease, I can see the driver side axel shaft spinning, the passanger side shaft does not move. I reach over and turn the axel shaft by hand with some difficultly. so I think maybe the hub is lock in. I turn the hub. Now I cant turn the shaft at all. so I unlock it again. and turn the axel shaft buy hand but using a little extra effort.

Shouldn't that shaft be spinning freely when I turn the front driveshaft, just like the drivers side?

Could this mean that the hub is not fully disengaging?

Im thinking this is the noise ive been hearing for the longest time comming from the front passangerside.

I'm trying to figure the out before it gets dark.

Thanks
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with an open differential it is possible for only one side to spin at a time when you turn the D shaft.
Try some checking with the front tires in the air, it makes it easier to determine if you have any u joint, axleshaft, differential issues.

What is the noise like? When does it happen? I would suspect radius arm bushings, sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rods, etc before the axleshafts.

The noise is a ocelating. whirrrrrrring type noise that increases and decreases with speed. I thought it was the wheelbearing (I usually replace them about twice a year) but I replaced them along with the races and still made the same noise. Ball joints, tie rods, RA bushings are all good.

Ive tried to explain it to someone by telling them it sounds like the front hub is locked in, in the past.

A couple of weeks ago we had the front tires in the air and spining the front d-shaft and I belive that both were turing.

Ryan

Ryan1 said:
whirrrrrrring type noise that increases and decreases with speed.
as 410 pointed out, it might be a u-joint. a u-joint thats gone south (for the winter) makes chirping noises that increases in frequency as speed increases.

I just had that axel shaft out and the mechanic said it (u-joint) was good. he was the one trying to help me find the noise, we replaced the bearing in the spindle and thought that would get rid of it. but it still there.

well I assume the noise only happens in 4wd then?

No in 2WD while driving down the road.

I havnt run it down the street in 4WD I guess I could try that and see if it still makes noise

Tires would make this noise would they?

tires would make the noise in 2wd or 4wd.

If it occus only in 4wd hi and low range, then you are on the right track. It would be the T case, front D shaft, diff, or front axleshafts/hubs.

Some 4wd noise is normal IMO.
I can actually feel when my truck is in 4wd on the bottom of my feet, but I have been driving this BII a LONG time.

funny you say that cause I can feel the noise in the floorboard

Back