Need some help deciding on what tire to get? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help deciding on what tire to get?

i was hoping someone could help me out on this happy quest in deciding on what kind of tires i should get. the only other tires i have had expirence with where bf mud terrians and they where great. so i am hoping to find something allong those lines. my ex is my daily driver so no bias ply for me.

some of the ones i have thought about are

36 12.50 15 tsl radials

37 12.50 15 irok radials

feel free to make other suggestions. and if anyone has had any personal experiences with these tires i would be greatly appricated some feedback

thanks

i've been reading up on these 2 tires. cuz one or the other will be my next choice. either a 36x13.50 irok radial or a 36x14.50 tsl radial. anyways... from what i've read... if u take care of the iroks u could expect somewheres around 40,000mi out of them. probably not much more than that though. the tsl radials... i know of three people running them who have gotten a good 40,000 miles out of them and these have been on full size trucks (all f150's). and from what i've read that sounds about right for them. i would take a 36" over a 37" b/c 5.13's and 36's would go real good together. 37" and up is getting a little tall for 5.13's imho. like u said... 5.13's with yer 38's was too much strain on the tranny. so 36's ought to keep everything from working too hard. i see people using 4.88's and 37's but i think that would suck unless all u use is low range. but whatever... mileage ought to be pretty close with either one. though i think u might squeeze more out of the iroks. just guessing though

I drive cross country at least 3-4 times a year, so having a reliable tire that won't leave me hanging on the side of the road...can handle the miles...and performs well offroad is extremely important to me.
You name it...I've tried them!... Goodyears, ProComp, Michelin, and BFG's
The BFG's without a doubt, are the best bang for your buck! I have never had a single blowout with the BFG's and the tread on these lasts forever. If for no other reason I would buy them simply because you get the most miles out of their tread. On my first set that I had on my J**p, I got around 70k out of before replacing them. The set I have now on my X, I put on when I bought the truck with 65k on it. I now have 163k on the truck and the tires are still running strong. Granted they are down to about a quarter
tread on them and are due to be replaced, but I think close to 100k on a set of tires is pretty friggin good! Like I said never had any other tire last as long as BFG's, and I've been driving XC for close to 12 years. Most of my offroading is in the dunes, some of the rock crawler guys say that BFGs get eaten up to quick on the rocks...so keep that in mind, but if your looking for a tire that will perform well on pavement the majority of the time, I say go with the BFG AT's.
Just my opinion...and I'm sure you'll get plenty...so take it for what it's worth!
Good luck... J.

thanks for the replys. i appriciate the the suggestions and i have decided to go with.............some 37 12.50 15 goodyear mtrs. it was a hard decision for me(very hard) but i think i made the right one. i will keep u guys informed as i embark on a new venture into the world or MTRs.

take care and thanks again

Back