• Register Today It's free!

need some tire size help

hokie2008

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
im getting either a 2" or a 3" body lift for my explore and i wanted to know what some good size tires to use. also im looking for some cheap tires. im not looking to do some serious offroading, so anything that looks better than a radial and will look good with a 2 or 3 inch body lift...you're help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what do you mean looks better than a radial? almost all tires these days are radial built tires.. and the ones that aren't radials are way to extreme for your targeted use..... you probably want to look at a radial mud terrain or an all terrain tire.... 31" on a 15" wide wheel is probably a good choice if you want utmost clearance... if you decide you dont mind trimming fender sheetmetal or the firewall apron pounding back with a hammer, then you might be able to fit 33" tires.... keep with the 10.5" wide sizes if running the stock wheels though or you might run into rubbing problems....

i mean better than radial by i want some tires that have a little more "knobs". i want super swampers but they are out of my budget..... i was thinking about 31"

alright sounds like 31" is the way im going.... where would you recomend to buy these? im looking for cheap tires, nothing fancy, and some that will get the job done in the snow or mud. thanks

A friend of mine told me that Wal-mart has some tires that are 31 maybe bigger that are made by Goodyear and really looked good for a good price. Haven't been there yet to look. this was a few months ago and I think he said they have a different name then Goodyear but are made by them ,may be mistaken though. Might be worth checking out.

all the tires wal*mart sells are garbage... private label tires and nothing aggressive

i am assuming its a daily driver and mroe on the street than anything else as you said offroad itsnt going to be a major thing..... dont get any super swamper, they are very soft and will wear out quickly on the street....

look at kumhos, bfg, truxus m/t, general grabber m/t or pro-comps

thanks i found 4 procomps on ebay for 179$ but they are 35"....way to big for the lift im getting

My brother in law uses the BFG MTs, hes got a set of 33x9.50s he let me try and they fit stock with no rubbing (except very slightly on the driver side, the inner plastic hangs down there on my truck, but it hardly even touches that when going over some larger bumps at high speeds). Im going to be getting a 2" body lift sometime soon that'll go along with the 4" skyjacker Im planning on getting, which I'll probably stay with a set of 34x10.50s I found for a reasonably good price. I'll see if I can borrow his tires again and take pictures when Im back from my vacation.

3" BL

I have a 3" body lift and am running 32x11.50x15s. I had to do some minor trimming, but haven't had any rubbing issues on the trail.

Back