Need to help a friend about a blazer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to help a friend about a blazer

spiper

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
It's not mine, but can anyone help me decipher what this girl needs?

Ok, I need help here. I have a 1994 Chevrolet Blazer W Series. It's a 4.3 litre engine, 6 cylinder fuel injection, 4 wheel drive, PL, PW, automatic blah blah blah. Recently it has been really REALLY boggy when driving and I haven't had as much power as I normally do. So at first I thought that maybe it was just because of the climate/altitude change (moving from hot, dry Alberta to cool, wet BC)but it didn't seem to get any better after being here for a while so we decided to do a little maintenance on it. We changed out the plugs, the air filter and the distributor/rotor thingamabobber doohickey. At first the problem seemed to be solved, but alas that wasn't the case. Although I have my power back, the boggy problem remains. It's almost as though it's not letting enough gas through, it will surge and die and surge and die (not really stalling but really sputtering). So we knew that the fuel filter should be changed but because of the position of the filter we were trying to hold off until my tank wasn't quite so full. However, that was not to be either; today when we were driving into town I lost "power", the engine just didn't want to rev when I gave it gas. So I barely got pulled off the road and the truck stalled (it stalled on me during an idle the other day, and apparently twice on 27 earlier today). We did a fuel filter change on the side road that I'd turned off onto, but I am still having the problem. It's still bogging, and seeming to not be feeding enough fuel through to keep the engine going. It's not idling smoothly at all. Which brings me to my question, exactly how many fuel filters are on this thing, we've been told ONE and we've been told TWO. The one we changed is directly under the rear drivers side passenger compartment, just a little ways forward of the fuel tank; is there another one mounted on the firewall or near the injectors?? I know I should take it in but I'm trying to save myself a buck or hundreds so any input or help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there is another fuel filter that could be it. It could also be a bad fuel pump or bad injectors (less likely to be injectors). I'm sure the thing has a MAS, how about cleaning it?

hmm....well first off, its a CHEVY! but really.....i had a cavalier that did something similar and i dont know if they even used the same type of parts in 94 as they did in 87, but you can tell her its worth a shot

on the side of the engine that was facing my firewall(probably different on hers since mine was FWD) there is an electrical type of device called a powerpack, if you run through any type of deep water or even a puddle of water and it splashes up onto it, you'll quickly start bogging down

my car didnt have any problems til about a week after i driven through some pretty deep puddles of rain water on some back streets, i got to a stop sign and tried to take off and it wouldnt hardly move, it died on me in the middle of an intersection and so i finally took it to the shop

could also check the TPS(throttle position sensor) and IAC(idle are control valve) they could be the culprits too

I have nothing useful to say her just that:
"Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Cbevy's"

Other than that good luck. I am sure someone here can help.

I know what it is......

They need 3 lbs of this stuff called "C4". Put it on the exhaust manifold, while it is cold, and start the car - let it idle and warm up the C4 - that'll fix it right up. Don't sit in the car while doing this repair, as a matter of fact, don't let anyone get within 100 yards.....

good as - or better than - new...

u mite want to keep an eye on the gas tank. i had the same problem with my 84 s10 blazer. changed the fuel filter(which was plugged with dirt and sand)and about 2 weeks later the tank started leaking. replaced the tank,blew out the fuel lines,replaced the filter and it ran fine.

Ford Certified Technician

I have something to say which will help. In stead of spending anymore money on parts which don't fix it, just take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it. Diag at my dealer is $75 dollars, ask them to diagnose it and make you an estimate (DON'T TELL THEM RIGHT OFF HAND YOU ARE GOING TO FIX IT YOURSELF), then tell them you can't afford the repair and ask that they make a complete estimate of what it needs, they are required to provide this information to you if you paid diagnosis. Then take it home and fix it yourself.

Originally posted by FrankRizzo
I know what it is......

They need 3 lbs of this stuff called "C4". Put it on the exhaust manifold, while it is cold, and start the car - let it idle and warm up the C4 - that'll fix it right up. Don't sit in the car while doing this repair, as a matter of fact, don't let anyone get within 100 yards.....

good as - or better than - new...
ROFLMAO I had an 89 blazer w/the same engine and problem, never did find out what was causing it, (sorry), but the above quote sounds like your best advice. J/K I traded mine in for the X.

I noticed 4.3lL . I had one back in the day and turned out to be a sticking EGR valve . Sometimes stick and sometimes not , Im leaning on the EGR . GM had crappy EGR's and they will stick . Check the MAF or MAP , not sure which she has , but had a similar problem with the related engine

Back