Need to know if I have the correct firing order for the ignition coil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to know if I have the correct firing order for the ignition coil

Explorer79

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
I got the information from this site: http://anse.rs/czMgPs

It says the firing order is 1-4 2-5 3-6. But I'm confused as to where to connect to the corresponding cylinder. I'm thinking the cylinders on the engine are lined up as follows:

3 --- 6
2 --- 5
1 --- 4

This is supposedly the cylinder order if you're looking at the engine from the front of the truck. But what about the ignition coil? Is it the same there?

Basically, I replaced the spark plug wires exactly the way they were plugged up. But on top of the fact the truck is still missing it's also backfiring now. So I don't know if I've got the plugs connected in the right order, have the spark plugs gapped incorrectly, or what's going on. I just know my truck ain't right.

PS - I apologize for the abruptness of my first post, but my lack of knowledge (on top of my truck's problems) is frustrating me to no end. I'd appreciate any help anyone could give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many people have mixed up #5 and #6 wires on the coil pack. (Me included) :eek:

It looks to me like you've misread the link. Post #2 in the linked thread shows the coil pack correctly: front to back 1-5, 2-6, 3-4

It looks to me like you've misread the link. Post #2 in the linked thread shows the coil pack correctly: front to back 1-5, 2-6, 3-4

There was a diagram on the page I linked to that shows the same thing about the coil pack the thread above talked about. I misread that too.

3 - 4
2 - 6
1 - 5

I guess what's tripping me up is the 4-6-5 order on the coil pack. I had it in my mind that it was the same on the coil pack as it is on the engine since the firing order is 1-4, 2-5, 3-6.

It's a bit confusing to me.

There was a diagram on the page I linked to that shows the same thing about the coil pack the thread above talked about. I misread that too.

3 - 4
2 - 6
1 - 5

I guess what's tripping me up is the 4-6-5 order on the coil pack. I had it in my mind that it was the same on the coil pack as it is on the engine since the firing order is 1-4, 2-5, 3-6.

It's a bit confusing to me.

Its bitten many people.. Heck, I knew to watch out for that and I still goofed it last time.. I at least know if I start the truck after changing the wires and it doesn't run right to swap those wires on the driver side of the coil.

~Mark

yup the passenger side is intuative the drivers side the two are swapped. It surprises me that they couldn't make it intuative on bothe sides of the engine.
Explorer79 has it right

Back