need to mount cell phone and other stuff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need to mount cell phone and other stuff

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 limited (gone)
Hi folks;
Well; I have some questions for any of you that has had to mount more than one accesory inside your explorer. I have a car kit for my cell phone; a cb radio; a handheld scanner mount and possibly a laptop mount that I want to put in my 97 limited.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could mount all of this and keep it all neat and clean looking; while drilling the least amount of holes possible?
I was thinking the c.b could go inside of the console next to the cd changer, the cell phone kit on the dash somewhere, the laptop mount needs to be attached under the passenger side seat so it can swing over the center console; but where to put the mount for the handheld scanner? The mount for the scanner would be one of those adjustable type cell phone/other stuff mounts. I dont really want to block off any of the vents.
If anyone has any pictures of these types of things, I would really appreciate you posting the pics so I could get some ideas.
I want to try to find a laptop mount that has a removable tray for the laptop, so I can remove it when my wife is riding with me. My work takes me to places where I must be in my truck for sometimes several hours at a time, so I would like to have all of these things in there so I have a way to pass the time when I am just sitting there for hours at a time. My wife gave me a cellular modem for christmas, so I can get online when I am working. ( God I love that woman).
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just an idea

A while back I got this link.

www.scientificdimesnions.com

They have all kinds of mounts designed for stuff like that. And they are very helpful with selling the stuff to.

I too spend a lot of time in my 2000 explorer. For the cell phone, you can go to your local cell carrier, not an agent, but the actual company, and tell them you want a "PRO FIT" for the phone. Easy to install, no drilling holes, you remove the trim piece around the radio and use existing holes that Ford was nice enough to drill to hold the bracket. Trim goes back on and the phone looks like it came from the factory. Mount the CB with Velcro on the passenger side of the console pointing up. The pedestal for the lap top should go directly into the floor infront of the passenger seat, and they make a quick release for easy removal.
If you can't find any of these things try calling Crutchfield.com they have everything.
Good Luck

ill tell ya one thing, i have an audiovox 9000 cell phone, and i cant find a damn thing for it. i want a hands free speakerphone kit that plays it thru the speakers of the truck (ya know, the kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter and its a little phone holder thingamajig.) anyways, radio shack is pretty much the only place that has stuff for that phone, and the only stuff they have is not what i want. ive also tried online places and best buy and other places, but nothing; this sucks. its a damn good phone, too, too bad no one makes anything for it, you can only get stuff for nokia crap phones that suck, but at least you can get a cool face for it :p

i actually ran into some trouble when i put in my hands free cellphone holder (no hand held phones in NY while driving). anyway, when i put it in the adapter in the dash it was in the way when i wanted to shift or change the radio station. if i put it in the adapter that is on the passengers side of the center console it was too far away. this is what i did. i wish i had a camera handy so i could show you a picture. i bought an adapter from the local auto parts store (comes with wires and mounting bracked and screws. i didnt use the screws, i used little bolts because the plastic that i mounted it to isnt very think). i took out the tissue box holder and bolted it to that. i slid it back in and tapped into the wires for the adapter that is on the passengers side of the console. now i have another adapter that is down in that slot. i just plug in my cellphone holder and it sits right next to me. looks like it was made to be there. i wouldnt have done it if it didnt look like it was stock (i'm really picky like that... everything has to be neat and look like it was stock). maybe ill post some pics in a few weeks. hope i helped.

thanks folks

Hi folks;
Thanks a lot for the ideas. Kspride, thanks for the link. I sent them an e-mail, but they have not replied yet.
Chasf111; thanks for that idea. I'll check that out some time this week. I still think im going to put the c.b inside the console, if it will fit. Once I get all of this stuff done, I will post some pics. Once again; thanks a lot for the ideas, everyone.
George

Back