• Register Today It's free!

External Cell Phone Antennas

macro

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have searched all the old threads using a keyword search, but didn't find the answers I was looking for, so...

I plan to install an externally mounted cell phone antenna in my 02 Explorer 4-door XLS. The guy at the cell phone store said to avoid the window mounted one if the back windows have lead in them. He said that since they have privacy glass, that I would need to check to see if they contain lead before using a window-mount, because that would render it useless.

Do my rear windows have lead in them?

He went on to say that magnet mounted antennas are better anyway. If I go that route, where would I run the cable from the outside of the vehicle to the inside? rear hatch?

i put a glass mount antenna on the drivers side rear window on my 97. i also have privacy glass. antenna works great.....almost always have full signal strength.

hope this helps.

I had one on the rear drivers side of my 97 too, worked OK when I used it for cell, but now I replaced it with a CB one for my CB and it doesn't work for squat.

Cell phone should work fair as the freq is high enough to induce the signal through the glass (800Mhz vs 27Mhz for CB)

Back