Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
My U-joint's are going out so I need to them fixed before the next run. Does anyone know the part #'s though? :rolleyes: I could not find any in a search.

I belive there is one on the front and two on the rear. At 130k+ miles I mite as well just fix all of them.

I was going to order some Splicer U-Joints probbaly.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just replaced mine last week.. i went with a regreasable joint from "Precision Universal Joints" which is a company under MOOG... my local Napa store stocked the one i needed.. here visit the MOOG website for the part number:
http://www.federal-mogul.com/cda/content/front/0,2194,2442_7709,00.html (Click on "Vehicle Application Catalog" at the top)

premium_u_joint2.jpg

Jefe said:
All stock driveshaft U joints are Spicer 1310

Thank you sir ;)

Jeff (Jefe),

Does that include the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft?

Thanks, Dave.

Bronco638 said:
Jeff (Jefe),

Does that include the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft?

Thanks, Dave.
I would think so, but I have never seen a stock double cardan style driveshaft in person, so I can't verify that.

I just picked up the ones for the Rear. The guy at a off-road shop buy work said Spicer didn't make non-greasable u-joints. Anyway I didn't get the one for the front because I was unsure if it was the same. :rolleyes:

you mean Spicer doesnt make greasable u-joints?

Stic-o said:
The guy at a off-road shop buy work said Spicer didn't make non-greasable u-joints.

I think Jeff means that all Spicer u-joints come with a zerk fitting (all Spicer u-joints are 'greaseable'). It's a double negative.

Jefe said:
I would think so, but I have never seen a stock double cardan style driveshaft in person, so I can't verify that.

Well, AutoZone doesn't know but the woman at Car Quest told me the double cardan u-joints are a different part # than the front u-joint on the front driveshaft. I'll verify this with my friend at the local Ford store. The u-joints on the rear driveshaft are the same, front & rear.

Update: Ford says that all three u-joints on the front driveshaft are the same part #. So, five Spicer 1310 u-joints should do the trick.

To correct this thing for future readers, jigoecam discovered that there are two U-joints on the Explorer -- the back are series 1330s and the front are series 1310s.

To correct this thing for future readers, jigoecam discovered that there are two U-joints on the Explorer -- the back are series 1330s and the front are series 1310s.

Indeed, when I did mine earlier this week, the front joint was a 1310, but the two rears were 1330s. For the proper part number, check the applications guide on the Dana web site. It's probably the most accurate source for that info, seeing as they made the OEM joints for most of the vehicles they list.

-Joe

This thread would pop up when I google searched for Ford Explorer U joint sizes. So to add to this for future reference...

First gen explorers 91-94 use 1310 front and back (3 in the front 2 in the back)

Second gen explorers 95-01 could have either 1310 or 1330 in the rear depending on the year and motor in the vehicle. You'll have to measure them to find out.

Are both rear shaft joints the same part? I pulled mine out (replaced them around 8 years ago) and they were different parts, one was stamped 352, which I tracked down to precision, apparently a MOOG label, but can't figure out why I would have bought two different U joints. If they're supposed to be the same maybe the store was out of one kind that day?

Back