Need Upper Intake manifold bolt | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Upper Intake manifold bolt

I just need 1, but maybe two for anticipated problems. Please PM your paypal address and price, and I'll respond/pay right way! Thanks....

DW

Where you located at ???
Cause I might have some or can get some ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, for an update: I am waiting for the bolts in the mail, so I decided to mount the upper manifold just finger tight until ready to torque. (Is torquing really necessary at at only 7-8 ft lbs). I like to think I can do it by feel.

Anyways,, LOST yet another manifold bolt. Its probably on top of the tranny.

Had a hard time getting the upper manifold to seat properly, so I attempted to take off the EGR valve. Guess what? LOST ANOTHER BOLT. One of the two mounting bolts for the EGR valve! Does anyone know if there is any non essential bolt the same size as the one I lost for the EGR? It looks like a thermostat housing bolt, but of course, I need those. Thanks!

DW

Well, for an update: I am waiting for the bolts in the mail, so I decided to mount the upper manifold just finger tight until ready to torque. (Is torquing really necessary at at only 7-8 ft lbs). I like to think I can do it by feel.

Anyways,, LOST yet another manifold bolt. Its probably on top of the tranny.

DW

I lost one of my 8 upper intake manifold bolts a few months ago was well - i also think it's on top of the tranny because I backed out of driveway a few times, slamming on brakes hoping it would fall out - no luck. i have not had any vacuum leaks that i am aware of - no CEL since i've been running with 7 bolts. The stealership will only sell me a pack of 8, so others advised i go to junkyard, but nothing is close by where i live. if anyone out there has a extra one i will pay a small premium!

I lost one of my 8 upper intake manifold bolts a few months ago was well - i also think it's on top of the tranny because I backed out of driveway a few times, slamming on brakes hoping it would fall out - no luck. i have not had any vacuum leaks that i am aware of - no CEL since i've been running with 7 bolts. The stealership will only sell me a pack of 8, so others advised i go to junkyard, but nothing is close by where i live. if anyone out there has a extra one i will pay a small premium!

Try sending Torqueranger a PM. He may have some.

Yep... I need one as well. Specs said 60 Inch Pounds ...

Here is 2 I found in my bolt bin compared to drywall screws. These screws just have an 8mm head, no torx. Not sure what year they came from.
rps20140814_221134.jpg
I've found an easier solution to the problem of access to the 2 screws in the back of the upper intake. In my case I damaged/stripped the Torks bit socket in the head of one, got several replacements from an engine in a scrap yard along with some from the throttle body since they have hex heads that would be less likely to strip. The ones shown here from the bolt bin are probably TB screws which are about 1/4" shorter than the Torks ones and also have a detail difference I almost missed. When compared to screws from the upper intake I noticed the threads on those did not continue all the way to the underside of the head. The reason is that continuous threads would not give the same clamping force between the upper and lower intake. I could have used the TB screws as-is by drilling the upper body hole larger but since it was already in-place I elected to grind off the upper threads using a dremel. The hex head is easier to get a socket on without using a flex joint and less likely to strip out. Here's a comparison of a stock and modified TB hex screw and a stock upper intake one.
IMG_1982.jpg

I've found an easier solution to the problem of access to the 2 screws in the back of the upper intake. In my case I damaged/stripped the Torks bit socket in the head of one, got several replacements from an engine in a scrap yard along with some from the throttle body since they have hex heads that would be less likely to strip. The ones shown here from the bolt bin are probably TB screws which are about 1/4" shorter than the Torks ones and also have a detail difference I almost missed. When compared to screws from the upper intake I noticed the threads on those did not continue all the way to the underside of the head. The reason is that continuous threads would not give the same clamping force between the upper and lower intake. I could have used the TB screws as-is by drilling the upper body hole larger but since it was already in-place I elected to grind off the upper threads using a dremel. The hex head is easier to get a socket on without using a flex joint and less likely to strip out. Here's a comparison of a stock and modified TB hex screw and a stock upper intake one.
View attachment 179200
I HATE TORX!! They may have had a purpose in production assembly...but, they can be a real p.i.t.a. to remove as it doesn't take much to strip out the heads.

20200313_164428.jpg
I have em

I do believe I have them
Ill send them to you but I think it would be way cheaper for me to just measure the bolt and give you the specs to buy one at the hardware store

You could buy all new bolts for just the shipping costs just sayen

problem solver...

I do believe I have them
Ill send them to you but I think it would be way cheaper for me to just measure the bolt and give you the specs to buy one at the hardware store

Did you need !e to measure the bolts still
Or not
I'm happy to help

Did you need !e to measure the bolts still
Or not
I'm happy to help
I'm gonna head to some junk yards this weekend and try and find some bolts

I do believe I have them

Would you mind sending me the bolts I headed to a few yards today an didn't have any luck of finding manifolds or bolts

Private message me your address
Ill look for them tomorrow

Edit I found them

You pay for a year membership and I'LL
Send them to you free
I think @Rick would appreciate that;)

I
You pay for a year membership and I'LL
Send them to you free
I think @Rick would appreciate that;)
I have done this in the past
Only way its worth my time imo
Sorry if its a inconvenience

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I

I have done this in the past
Only way its worth my time imo
Sorry if its a inconvenience
So that missing bolt hole is stripped out any way to fix it cheap?

Back