Need Upper Intake manifold bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Upper Intake manifold bolt

Daisywheels

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT XP SOHC V6
Yeah, I busted one. Thank god I got it out. Called a Ford dealer and they said the bolts are "obsolete." They suggested an auto-wrecker, but I live in the boonies - no where near an auto wrecker. One would think you can find these online SOMEWHERE. but so far no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Truck is 1999 Explorer SOHC V6 4X4.

Thanks! -DW

P.S. I noticed in 2001 they changed the upper intake manifold to just one component. I wonder what genius decided to separate the manifold into 2 pieces in the first place. "Ooops, bad idea, lets just make it one component again." Jeeez.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you're talking about the retarded torx-headed wood screws that hold the upper and lower manifold together.

I'd be tempted to try a toggle bolt, or JB Weld a nut to the back side of the lower intake and use a regular bolt.

try sending Ped5Stang a PM. He may have one.

I assume you're talking about the retarded torx-headed wood screws that hold the upper and lower manifold together.

I'd be tempted to try a toggle bolt, or JB Weld a nut to the back side of the lower intake and use a regular bolt.

Yup. Torx headed, (T-30) not sure if they are wood screws. It broke in between the upper and lower. I had about 1/2 inch left on the bolt that was tightened down into the lower manifold. I just unscrewed it with vice grips.

Wouldn't I have a vacuum leak if I use anything other than the proper bolt/screw? Plus, it also threads through the upper intake. Googling "toggle bolt" right now. Oh, and I don't have the lower intake off yet. Based on the condition of the upper intake gaskets (Very good), I'm thinking about leaving the the lower intake manifold in place. Thanks!

DW

I used a roofing screw.

I used a roofing screw.

Was it close in size? Like threaded properly? Can you still remove it if you needed to? I may just go to a Home Depot and look for a match.

DW

It was very close and worked properly. No vacuum leaks.

I'm not using it anymore, I've swapped in another engine and kept the good bits and sold a few bits.

Yup. Torx headed, (T-30) not sure if they are wood screws. It broke in between the upper and lower. I had about 1/2 inch left on the bolt that was tightened down into the lower manifold. I just unscrewed it with vice grips.

Wouldn't I have a vacuum leak if I use anything other than the proper bolt/screw? Plus, it also threads through the upper intake. Googling "toggle bolt" right now. Oh, and I don't have the lower intake off yet. Based on the condition of the upper intake gaskets (Very good), I'm thinking about leaving the the lower intake manifold in place. Thanks!

DW

You wouldn't necessarily have a vaccum leak. The torque spec is very low for those, and the two halves don't need a ton of clamping force.

The threads in the plastic of the lower intake tend to strip out anyway. I ended up wrapping the screws with pipe tape just to get them to snug up. Probably only have half of them tightened to the correct torque spec, but no problems with vaccuum leaks.

If I take it apart again, I'll probably replace some of the factory wood screws with these http://amzn.to/1oxtIe2

It was very close and worked properly. No vacuum leaks.

I'm not using it anymore, I've swapped in another engine and kept the good bits and sold a few bits.

Did you keep any manifold bolts :D I'd pay you.

DW

Since there are 8 bolts and the torquing is from the inside out, what if I just torque the bolts I have leaving one outside hole empty. I didn't think I would have a vacuum leak even with the broken bolt in place.

I then found out I never installed the throttle body correctly - bolts were not even tight, clearly a gap between the throttle body and gasket/spacer. I just want the damn thing running at this point. I think the throttle body spacer and lack of tightening bolts correctly was the cause of the stalling at idle and general just running like crap. It ran just like I forgot to hookup the air intake hose going to the IAC. Fixed that, and it ran great. I was running cold, so changed the thermostat. I'm told not to even scan the truck unless I get to normal operating temp. Then I had a coolant leak (not much) so I figured I'd take off the upper intake manifold - again gaskets were in good condition.

Thoughts on running it with 7 of 8 upper intake manifold bolts untill I find a suitable bolt//screw? Thank you everyone!

DW

Also Haynes manual says to torque the throttle body to 53-62 FT-lbs. Does anybody agree with that? Seems more likely they meant in-lbs. I don't need to be busting anymore bolts!

DW

Ford Workshop Manual shows 62 INCH lbs. Thank Hayne's, that's "only" 12 times the recommended torque spec.

av2053a.gif

Using the search under "repair info" is a time saver. GL
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3302084&postcount=4l

Thank you swshawaii! I don't know why people like the Haynes manual. It's not very helpful to me - gives limited details, makes you jump back and forth depending on motor size, and now obviously has a typo that could have lead to another broken bolt. I'll scan the bad info if anybody wants it. Hopefully that would keep people from buying the dumb *ss manual.

DW

Try looking at a place like clipsandfasteners dot com. They have all sorts of these little bits and fasteners that are hard to find anywhere else. You may not get a perfect match, but there is probably something close.

They aren't wood screws but screws designed to thread into plastic (similar but different). I can't remember exactly what those look like now. If they have the double thread where one thread sticks out farther than the other, then search for hi-lo screws, which are used for things like plastic, particle board, etc.

Try to match the thread (that is more important than matching the head). You could run something else in there, but it just tears up the plastic more and eventually will strip out.

Here is 2 I found in my bolt bin compared to drywall screws. These screws just have an 8mm head, no torx. Not sure what year they came from.
rps20140814_221134.jpg

Did you keep any manifold bolts :D I'd pay you.

DW

Do you mean the intake manifold to head bolts? I bought a bunch of Allen head bolts and use them.

I think the shipping from Australia might be a bit much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have plenty of these laying around, you just want 1 or a few?

I just need 1, but maybe two for anticipated problems. Please PM your paypal address and price, and I'll respond/pay right way! Thanks....

DW

Back