Need Wiring Hella Lights!!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Wiring Hella Lights!!!!!!!!

hla-88084_w.jpg

ok so i bought these lights from summit and they did not come with a wireing harness or a diagram. there are 3 wires coming out of the lamp pos/neg/ground and also there are to bulbs inside the lamp. when i connect pos and neg directly from the lamp to the battery both bulbs light up but it is very dim and when i connect the ground then only one blub will light up and it is super bright...

my question is... How the hell do i get the other blub to light up and have them both be very bright?!

i called hella and they are on vaca for the holidays so i hope u all can help me out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MadMike6786 said:
hla-88084_w.jpg

ok so i bought these lights from summit and they did not come with a wireing harness or a diagram. there are 3 wires coming out of the lamp pos/neg/ground and also there are to bulbs inside the lamp. when i connect pos and neg directly from the lamp to the battery both bulbs light up but it is very dim and when i connect the ground then only one blub will light up and it is super bright...

my question is... How the hell do i get the other blub to light up and have them both be very bright?!

i called hella and they are on vaca for the holidays so i hope u all can help me out

Just looking at the lamps, they appear to be a combination driving/fog type ant I suspect that the fog and driving parts are meant to be on at separate times, not at the same time.

Just a guess. I'd go with a relay setup off of a spdt switch.

What model # are they, and should both lamps be on at the same time? I would have expected you to have 2 positive wires (one for each lamp) and a single ground (ground and neg are the same thing). In any case you're going to need a 12v 30amp relay and wire it like the following:

18205Hella_Wiring_WEB1.jpg

DeRocha said:

Probably is the dual one. I looked at the pic on the site I posted and it had only 2 wires where his does have 3. Strange it did not come packed with instructions and kit.

yes they are model 2020... when i ordered them from summit they didnt come with instructions =( i guess im going to have to make a harness for from what i have seen it looks liek they wont be able to be on at the same time... boo... if anyone knows a way to have them both on thats cool just let me know

That should do it for you, keep the wiring as short as possible to keep voltage drop down.

Dwight P

14 guage will be more than enough to handle those lights w/no voltage drop. Plus it is much easier to use than 10 guage.
See the chart in the FAQs at top of page.
Unless those lights were a close out or special deal they should have come w/harness & directions. Call Summitt & tell them the problem. They should make it right.

Great Article

Here is something that will explain voltage drop and why you need large wires if you want the most out of your lights......without straining the factory wiring.

http://dsl.torque.net/images/Relays.pdf

Dwight P

I would place the relays close to the battery and use 14, or 12ga max 10ga is way overkill.. BTW you may not be able to run both lights at the same time.. The lamp housing may not be able to dissipate the heat generated by both lamps being on simultaneously.

Back