Need with clock spring and steering wheel radio controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need with clock spring and steering wheel radio controls

Jco5

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
I want to modify my 97 Ford Sho and add radio controls to my steering wheel. I was a the junkyard a while ago and I remove the steering wheel radio controls and clock spring from a gen 2 Mountaineer or Explorer. I would like to know is it possible to swap the clock spring over to the Sho Taurus. Also I know if I can use the radio control buttons I may have to mod the housing cases to have it fit inside my steering wheel. If the clock spring fits does anyone have a wiring pin out of the clock spring connectors. just in case I have to re pin the explorer clock spring and connector to the the Sho connectors and controls.

Don't think you'll need to swap clock springs.

Pretty sure both the radio and cruise control buttons use the same communications bus to signal the drivers commands to their respective units.

The only differences in the number of circuits in the clock spring are from the single force vs dual force air bag and the ground.

I don't know if the 2nd gen Explorer clock spring will work in the SHO, the steering column shape determines that. I have swapped the steering wheel of my 99 Limited to a four spoke wheel, and the clock spring, which is different for the AC/radio controls(more wires).

I have a 91 Lincoln which uses an odd clock spring, so that SHO is old enough that it also may not have the same kind of mounting for the clock spring as the late 90's Fords. To upgrade my 91 Lincoln, I bought a used 03 Marauder steering column, which is very close to matching the Explorers too(similar size and mounting etc).

Check your clock spring first, see how it mounts to the column, how many bolts and where are they located etc.

The truck steering wheels will not mount to a car column, the shaft end shape is different. The clock springs may swap between many Fords though, the mounting of them is the key. Be careful with them at all times, they are super fragile(do not spin the steering wheel).

Back