• Register Today It's free!

Negative Battery Cable question

94explorerboy

Reaction score
City, State
X,X
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
I was having problems with my 94 explorer starting. I determined that the negative battery cable was corroded beyond belief. I ordered a new cable (part #F3TZ-14301-E) but it does not seem to be long enough to reach the starter. Does anyone know if this is the correct part or is there another longer cable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neg Battery Cable

From what I remember, the cable doesn't go all the way to the starter. It attaches to a bolt in the engine block. You can get to the bolt by going through the passenger side wheel well, unless they changed something between 92 and 94.

Does anyone know if the negative battery cable runs all the way to the starter? I can trace it to where it connects to the frame on the right side and then there is another foot or so of cable that attaches somewhere. Does anyone know exactly where the cable goes once it is attached to the frame?

the negative cable goes to the engine block, then from another point on the block it runs up to right underneath the windshield to the left of the windshield wipermotor. I would also try and add an extra one somewhere, I have had many issues in the past due to poor grounding.

make sure the mounting points for the cables are all clean, hit them with a wire brush or grinder to clean everything off.

The postive battery cable is what goes straight to the start!

I finally was able to replace the negative ground cable. What a PITA. It didn't help though. I guess it is time to replace the starter. Anyone know how hard that is?

94explorerboy said:
I finally was able to replace the negative ground cable. What a PITA. It didn't help though. I guess it is time to replace the starter. Anyone know how hard that is?

Starter is easy. Just two or three bolts. If the neg. cable was toast I would change the pos. one too. You can also pull the starter and bring it to a auto parts store and they will check it for you.

My problem was the solinoid came loose from the starter.

Back