• Register Today It's free!

neutral tow kit

Huskeyman

Reaction score
City, State
I-Da-HO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 4X4
I want to tow my 2000 ford explorer XLT 4wd v6 all four wheels down. I am getting bits of broken information regarding this.

Where can I get this NTK for a 2000 explorer (see above)?
About what will it cost?
About what will I pay to get installed the right way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the Ford dealer, they can do it right, that is if its not discontinued.

Try the Ford dealer, they can do it right, that is if its not discontinued.

Yep - you want the "flat tow" kit. They got em'

flat towing (4 wheels down) of a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4

Neutral Tow
2000 Ford Explorer XLT

Written by: Thomas P Huskey
Date: July 30, 2013

Having recently researched the details regarding flat towing (4 wheels down) of a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4, with 4.0 V6 engine and automatic transmission, I found the details out here on the World Wide Web are most often lacking good details and some articles are just out-right miss leading, to include one suggestion of disconnecting the drive shaft. (WOW) While that will indeed work, it was obviously the suggestion of a younger mechanic that was just ok with sliding under the car every time you decided to use the car when you arrive at each destination. I can’t wait to see what he’d say about this after he turns 67.

My understanding is this applies to all 1997 – 2000 Ford Explorer’s XLT and Eddie Bauer editions with Automatic transmission, 4.0 v6 engines with the 4x4 selector switch (4X4 Auto | High | low) the following details pertain directly to the 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4, with 4.0 V6 engine and automatic transmission with the 4x4 selector switch.

Neutral towing a 2000 ford Explorer 4X4:
Per-say; the “97 – 2000 Neutral Tow Kit (NTK)” is no longer available from Ford and I was completely unable to find this kit anywhere after months of research and phone calls. The kit is simply an LED light that attaches to the dash and connects into the wiring system and computer code to enable the function. After downloading the new code you follow a disengagement procedure to enable the function.

Step 1, Go to Radio Shack and buy a Red LED assembly, mine cost $1.97 from my local RS. Any color LED will work, the NTK from Ford comes as red.

Step 2, Take your LED assembly and your qualified Ford Explorer 4X4 to your local Ford Service Center and ask them to wire in this LED assembly and install the code for the NTK.

Step 3, Pay for the Service work (My Ford dealer charged $95.72) at Lake City Ford in Coeur d’Alene ID. / Tom Addis Ford and took them right about an hour to complete the work.

Engaging The Neutral Tow Function:
Assuming you're now hooked up to the RV and ready to roll, while sitting behind the wheel of your Explorer preform the following steps.

1) Put your foot on the brake and depress the brake pedal.

2) Turn the ignition switch one click forward. This unlocks the shift lever but no dash lights are on in this position.

3) Shift the car into Neutral and continue to hold the brake pedal down.
After 5 - 7 seconds the LED will flash on then off (This is a test of the LED) then 1 - 2 second after the flash the LED will come on and stay lite.
Note: You can actually hear the switching take place as 2 low pitch click sounds from behind the dash.

Disengaging The Neutral Tow Function:
To disengage the Neutral Tow Function, simply depress the brake pedal, put the car in park.

I did a bunch of research for the 2007 to 2010 Sport Tracs. 4.0 liter/5 speed models tow kit remains the same as earlier models. V8/6 speed models require a neutral switch (toggle switch not that there is no longer a 'kit) in addition to the LED and programming.
AWD - which I believe are only ADRENALIN models not not apply. 1 speed (AWD and 4x4 High switches) ok, 2 speed (AWD, 4x4 High, 4X4 low) ok.

Back