New '17 Explorer 4WD, eco 4 cyl, XLT w/21K miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New '17 Explorer 4WD, eco 4 cyl, XLT w/21K miles

Ednick

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Greetings,

I just purchased my first Ford in a very long time. Previous SUV was a Honda Pilot.

I test drove the vehicle at the dealer for about 20 miles and ended up purchasing the car after some online price negotiation. CARFAX is fine and the dealer had service records which seemed to be in order, i.e., no issues. On the hour long drive home I noticed a vibration/noise going over some rough roads, which are pretty typical of most roads around here. I did not hear anything during the 20+ miles test drive. Other than the dash noises the car rides great. Note that these same roads did not cause my other car to experience unwanted interior noises.

I've had it out a few times since then and the noises get progressively worse the longer you drive. Its more of an irritation, not a functional issue as far as I can tell. I have checked the usual suspects, loose trim, glovebox, loose change... but it seems to emanate from inside the dash. Overall, the trim pieces seem tight. I've tried to isolate the noise(s) while driving, but to no avail.

Anyone else have this problem and do you have a remedy or at least ideas before I bring it to my local dealer.

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

Welcome to this forum! The top area under the wiper arms has an air inlet which could trap leaves, branches or other items, then push them into the blower assembly. Check that area to see if anything is making noise.

Thanks. I checked that area and it's clear. The occasional buzzing, vibration noise is from the center console area i believe. Cleaned everything out of the storage areas, pushed down on the sync door and armrest, but the noise persists over bumpy roads. Tried banging the center console with my fist to induce the noise, but inconclusive. Anyone else experience this? What's the fix?

Back