New AZ Explorer Owner

Jim Kechely

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hey, I'm Jim from Phoenix, AZ.
Just picked up an 06 Explorer XLT 4x4 yesterday. Already dropped a Kenwood head unit and bigger Falken all terrains on it today. Tomorrow comes the alarm and remote start before any other mods.
I've never owned an Explorer as I picked it up because of it's excellent condition when my Durango started to die. Only thing is, the full size spare no longer fits underneath so I've gotta find a way to rear mount it. Any suggestions would be great, and I'm glad to be a part of your forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. A receiver hitch tire carrier is how I'd carry the spare tire.

It's been a long time since I've been under mine looking at the spare tire area, but I seem to remember that there was a protruding piece that "cradled" the spare tire. After cutting that out I'm pretty sure a bigger tire can be placed under there.

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have another Arizonan on board:chug:

Right on. I'll likely trim out that basket or remove it and put the spare under there for now until I get a new roof rack made. Just ordered a Truxxx spacer kit (2.5" front, 1.25" rear) in order to give me the clearance for my oversized tires. Pretty excited to test out the 4wd once the lift is on. Do these things do okay off road? Like my OP said, I just bought this three days ago so I'm still learning about them and their abilities. Wishing there was more aftermarket for 4th gens but nothing a fabricator can't change I suppose.

I've seen them race 3rd and 4th gens in desert races and they do well. Stock suspension class other than changing the springs and shocks out for coil-overs.

Back