New Bronco build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Bronco build

Yeah, I know the feeling on having the "other" decide to start something because they think that they have a real reason for it... ( 21 years, 5 months to the day come tomorrow ) That's the nice thing about having something to go vent on... it will (hopefully) keep you from doing something stupid. Looks good so far, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really dig builds like this, Subscribing!

Been working at it every chance I get. Got the fuel tank back in and even drove it only to find out all the other issues to fix. The brakes are gone, the rear axle brakes are not even hooked up at the proportioning valve and the right front wheel bearings are dead. But damnit!

It drove under its own power! Absolutely no power so checking found the choke not opening, the vresser gone so a huge vacuum leak and the distributer loose!. I set the timing to 10 degrees and plugged in the spout and nothing! The computer is not controlling the ignition timing at all. Tried pulling codes and the computer will not respond, checked voltages at the 60 pin and I have good power and ground. The computer is just dead. So since this is a cheap fix before winter and I dont want a bunch of time spend with the stock engine I began the duraspark swap. Don't have a bunch of pictures today though.

Cleaned up the fenderwells.

8f184ec3-f87a-4c90-88bf-9e9c705a55ef.jpg

c9062c4e-ed25-4b71-a8b8-4e09d4e55bd4.jpg

Got this non A/C box for my swap, oddest thing, the A/C in this truck was never hooked up. All the parts are there but no lines, they all still have factory caps on the connections.

c3f7610e-4a73-46da-b4a8-cbc0b3195ffa.jpg

0bb05afd-9c44-488b-bbd2-b8c1d122e34b.jpg

And I found this little gem on a carbed 2.3 at the junkyard. A factory eec connector plug. The eec on this ranger was on the fenderwell. Oddest thing I've seen. Also looked like an EEC-III system too.

baca58a3-5066-4dcf-ada9-cffccf1bb4c2.jpg

Ya know, IF you wanted to keep the old carb/tfi/ecu setup, I have a good ecu that you could have for the shipping of it. Not that I would keep that setup, personally. I simply swapped over to 4.OHHH! power and never looked back.

Well finally got around to buying the $20 carb gasket to get it running. Turns out its wrong for the non feedback 2150. It creates a massive vacuum leak, I had a gasket from a non feedback carb and tried that.

It runs! Started right up with the only issue being the gasket issue. I don't understand why people have problems with a duraspark conversion? Hell it was easier than wiring an aftermarket stereo.

Only issue now is the high idle not related to a vacuum leak, the throttle is not closing as much as it should. If I force it closed it will actually idle but when I let off it goes back to a high idle.

First successful trip today! Drove to the in laws house about 4 miles away and back. Did just great! Noisy and stinky, just as it should be! Still needs the camber issue fixed as well as a bunch of little things.

d4b52000-2761-4720-909d-b4a7d133aaa1.jpg

THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!

I've been working on the BII even though I've not been updating. The biggest thing that you see in these pictures are the Explorer front springs and the 31's installed!

A270FCD5-orig.jpg

A8BB11B8-orig.jpg

Next up is Bumpers! Still need to finish things like the rear brakes and shocks. Carb needs rebuilt also, the accelerator pump does not work correctly.

Nice, are those Old School Centerlines??

Been working on the brakes. Replaced EVERYTHING on the rear. Starting at the proportioning valve back all new steel lines and a new rubber line, even a new steel clip for the rubber line. I didn't replace the drums as they were fine, but new shoes springs and adjuster kits. Two lines up front have been replaced but it looks like they bought pre made lines and didn't know what a bender was. I will probably replace those as well when I install the two new rubber lines on the front. Put some new shocks on the rear while I was under there.

Here is the new line from the proportioning valve to the rear line. I had to reuse the flare nut on the proportioning valve as it was a funny piece with a 1/4" thread with 3/16" line. Turned out really nice, fell right into the factory clips.

1C98D578-orig.jpg

Driver side looking to the pumpkin, new rubber line and new steel lines. I had nothing to go off of for lines as the two that were installed were pinched off and not original.

37734D41-orig.jpg

Driver drum and a small shot of the line coming around the perch.

F46A8CF2-orig.jpg

Passenger drum and view of the new line.

A1412FEE-orig.jpg

I wish these were better axles putting all this money into them, like the typical 8.8 and Dana 35 but this is turning into more of a camping/light wheeling truck instead of a purpose built off road rig so the 28/7.5 combo will be ok. The rear does have a Traction lock so that is a plus. Pulled the diff cover off and the c clips out as to replace the broken wheel stud and install new axle seals while I'm in there.

Future plans include building the bumpers so I can install lights and setup dual batteries and upgrade the electrical system with bigger cables and atleast a 100amp alternator. I Plan on a nice roof rack with a spot for a 60w or so sized solar panel to the front of the cab. I've been dreaming pretty heavy lately.

Back