• Register Today It's free!

New Car Ride

beauboy

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
OK. Here's one for the masses. My Ex is a 1991. I've been driving it forever, it seems (good thing), and am pushing it to 250k.

After 17 years now it rides like a marshmellow. In other words, I can feel every single crack and bump in the road. I'd like to get it back to riding like a new car, or as close as I can get it.

So far, I've replaced all the shocks, the front and rear sway bar bushings, radius arm bushing, and I keep my tires at 35psi. BTW, the tires are are in great shape.

I'm toying with replacing tie rod bushings, rear shackle bushings, and maybe even the body mount bushings. Yeah, I know it's a lot of work and time, but this is the best vehicle I've ever had. My wife has twice tried to get me to buy a newer one, but I don't know what I'd do with 2!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Springs dude. You may be feeling the fact that your springs are tired.

Im gonna say yeah springs are a little tired...

Springs??!?! That's so simple, I never thought of it. I guess I figured that since they still sprung, there wasn't anything wrong with them.

So, that said, Do you think I'd be wasting my time replacing the rest of my bushings (body mount bushings, rear shackles, tie rods) - none of them look bad, although they are original rubber.

Thanks folks, I really appreciate all your replies.

Depending on where you live you might still want to replace the rear shackles just because of the miles that are on them... They have been known to rust to the point that they can be snapped in half by hand...

Where are you at, because just doing the suspension in a Southern state would be hard. If the body bolts are corroded, you will spew countless foul words doing those.

I had a 93 Limited which I loved. The value was so low, and as good as the body/interior was I used it to rebuild a 99 Limited. I would not do that again, it's much more work than most people would imagine.

I suggest that if it needs the kind of rebuilding that is typical, sell it or trade it for a 98-01 model. If you shop around you would be surprised at how little those cost now. Good luck,

This truck has been around. I bought it in South Carolina, shipped it to Hawaii and back to South Carolina, and have been in Florida for the last 7 years. None of my bolts are corroded. As a matter of fact, there's not a spot of rust on the vehicle anywhere even though it's going on 17 years old ('91). The engine has never been touched either, except for the regular preventive maintenance that only I have given it to include new valve cover gaskets. Still gets the same mpg it was rated at brand new (+ or - 1 mpg). I think I'll keep her.

Springs??!?! That's so simple, I never thought of it. I guess I figured that since they still sprung, there wasn't anything wrong with them.

So, that said, Do you think I'd be wasting my time replacing the rest of my bushings (body mount bushings, rear shackles, tie rods) - none of them look bad, although they are original rubber.

Thanks folks, I really appreciate all your replies.

Only replace the bushings if you are hearing clunking or you don't believe it feels as tight as it should.

Replacing bushings that are 17 years old is not a waste of time, just good maintenance. My EX alway rides better when I replace the tires and put new Bilsteins on, (or another high quality mono-tube gas shock). Rides great for thousands of miles.

welcome

welcome and just goes to show if you really take care of a vehicle they will last forever just curious what engine does it have in it the 4.0 or 2.9(thoose were still in them right)

Mine has the 4.0L, 6 cyl.

I think I'll go with new coil springs and replace the rear shackle bushings for now. I may wait a little longer on the other bushings.

Thanks for everything folks.

Do leaf springs too. No doubt after 17yrs they have lost some arch.

I understand saving a vehicle, I did that with most of my 93. But the suspension/trans/engine rebuild is what I was avoiding with my 99 project. I spent similar money to build my 99 as the cost would have been for the major items of the old 93 parts.

FYI, you can use any 4dr. Explorer leaf springs up to 2001, find a low mileage late truck for those. Regards,

Thanks CDW. I wasn't aware that the leafs were the same that far up. That's good info.

I spent the last 2 years restoring a 1969 VW Beetle. I've been telling my wife lately that my next goal is to keep my Ex long enough to be able to get an "antique" plate for it also. LOL.

Well, it's over a month since my last post. I've now replaced everything except the ball joints and tie rods, which will come this month. The X has stiffened up considerably. I still need to go under and tighten everything up, now that I've put about 300 miles on it since changing the front and rear springs, leafs, and bushings. Hopefully, that will rid it of the occasional clunking that I'd expect after installing all new bushings.

Thanks for all the direction and focus. This has been a blast.

OK. It's been over 2 months now since I replaced shocks, springs, coils, and bushings. Everything has been torqued to spec and had an alignment done. My 91 still rides like it needs new everything! I just don't get it. I did notice that the new leafs I installed have no arch to them whatsoever. They exactly matched the old ones, so I don't think I received the wrong ones. But hit a small bump with the back end and brother, you know it! Oh yeah, and I still get the knocking and clunking when starting and stopping.

What next?

P.S. Tires are inflated properly and shocks are only 1 year old.

Back