New CD player, hook up and starts, no sound? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New CD player, hook up and starts, no sound?

BoatsRcool

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
GMC Yukon 4x4
I just installed well hooked up the wires for my new cd player. Its new, I took it out of the plastic package. I hooked all the wires up using a wire harness for my explorer. The cd player will light up and do all of its functions, but there is no sound. I have tried everything. I put my old tape player in, and the sound worked fine then. If I didnt connect certian speaker wires, then other speakers would still work. Need some help, what could it be??? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you hook up the amp turn on lead? This is a common mistake and this lead has to be hooked up most of the time due to the stock amp that powers the factory speakers. Dont feel stupid i made the same mistake myself when i installed my radio. If it isnt that i cant help ya. Maybe some one else can. Hope this works!

The only 2 i didnt hook up were the orange wire, and one other wire. But there was no where to splice them. I will check it out hold on...... ok the other wire, is a AMP TURN on blue/white wire. If that is the wire, where do I hook it up?

Did your new harness bypass the stock amp, or just interface with the stock wiring? Some head units cannot function at all running through the stock amp, so you might need to get the amp bypass kit. That's what I had to run for my new head unit.

I have no idea, all I know is that there are the 2 wires not connected orange, and my amp turn wire. I hav the premuim sound wire harness. Where can I get a amp bypasskit.

Your HU is fine, & hooked up right. The problem is your x has a factory amp behind the passanger rear cargo panel. You need a factory amp bypass cable. You unplug the wire harness from the amp, & plug this bypass into it. It's not that hard. http://www.crutchfield.com They will have the harness, & insturctions to get to the amp.

Crutchfield will definately have the necessary bypass harness. But, keep in mind that if you bypass the factory amp, your sub will not work.

When I originally installed my new HU, I used the amp bypass harness from Crutchfield. I worked just fine, except that I no longer had a functional sub in the cargo area. That made a major difference in sound and drove me nuts. So I called Crutchfield to see if I could fix the problem.

To make a long story short, for my HU (Blaupunkt), there is a part you can buy that you can hook up to your HU that will allow you to continue to use the factory amp. I think it is called an "amplifier integrator" or something like that. I hooked it up and now I have my sub back. Makes a huge difference. Crutchfield charges $50 for the part. I talked them down to $25 because they failed to tell me I needed it when I originally purchased my HU.

Right that's only if you have the factory JBL sub in your X, if not, it will not matter.

There should be a blue wire coming out of your radio ,connect it to the wire in your truck that says amp turn on...Wait the amp turn on wire you were talking about was in your truck right?

thanks so far, I dont have a factory JLB sub or whatever, I just have a stock system. The 2 wires that are not connected are wires from the new wire harness I bought for the cd player. One is orange, and the other one is blue/white, and it says amp turn on. I connected 2 other wires together that were solid blue that said power antenna. My antenna isnt power though it doesnt go up and down. Would it do anything to unplug that? Im not putting this in for a bad ass system, I just want a cd player. I dont need bass to play country music lol. Im not a person trying to get a bad ass system. I just want a cd player.

Well I hooked the amp blue/white wire up to the power antenna wire, and for some reason, the cd player works great now. Bass and all. Thanks guys.

Back