• Register Today It's free!

Weird problem driving me nuts!!!

94sportX

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 X Sport
Ok, I have a '94 X Sport with a factory radio/tape player. Worked fine, never a problem. I wanted a CD player, so I went out and bought a $110 Pioneer in-dash CD player from Circuit City. Ok.

I pull the factory radio out with those little tools, unplug the 2 wiring harnesses, and the antena. Ok.

Go to hook up the new CD player with the new wiring harnesses so no cutting/splicing is requirred. Simple.

CD Player comes on, but no sound from speakers. Hmm..weird. I unplug it, and hook the original factory radio up again. Same thing....it comes on, but no sound from speakers. WTF? Mind you it worked FINE before this, and all I did was simply unplug the wires from the back of it.

So what the heck is going on here? Why won't the factory player even work now, when all I did was unplug it? Very weird, Ive installed PLENTY of stereos throughout my lifetime, but this has me stumped! :(

Any ideas/thoughts/tips are GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search the audio forum.. I suspect you need to bypass the stock amp.

Where is the factory amp? And shouldnt the stock unit still work without bypassing it?

94sportX said:
Where is the factory amp? And shouldnt the stock unit still work without bypassing it?

That is true forgot about the stock unit not working.. Where's cobrajeff when you need him.

Check the connections to and from the amp to the fuses, maybe you blew an inline fuse of sometype when you connected the head unit, you could use a simple voltmeter with a light to check the speakers to see if they are reciecving power, if not id say its in a fuse somewhere.

Where is the amp on these things? Its not under the passenger seat, correct?

just need to hook the factory amps into the remote wire of the deck......had to do that on both of my explorers.

The factory amp is behind the rear cargo panel on the side with the net, or the subwoofer. As mentioned above you can power it, or pull the panel out, and bypass it. The aftermaket HU will have much better sound quality than the factory amp.

hook up the factory amp wire to your amp turn on ( blue wiht white strip ) depending on manfacturer.. thats what i did sounds great... your aftermarket adapterwire hareness will have a amp wire.. attach that to your eiht amp turn on blue with white from deck or just tap into the red wire (accessorry)

to add one more comment.. unless your going into a sound competetion witch i doubt your not... hooking up your factory amp will work great... mine sounds nice... so nice i am to lazy to bypass the factory amp wiht a larger one

Hooking up the factory amp to factory speakers may be fine, but mine sounded like complete garbage on my Audiobahns, which weren't very power hungry. After bypassing it they sounded 100% better.

SKIN said:
to add one more comment.. unless your going into a sound competetion witch i doubt your not... hooking up your factory amp will work great... mine sounds nice... so nice i am to lazy to bypass the factory amp wiht a larger one

work great?! no.... with my aftermarket hu and stock speakers, up loud it still sounded like crap with the factory amp, as soon as it was bypassed, it sounded soo much better...

i guess it is fine if garbage sound quality isnt cared about though......

im part of the sound team for a band though, so my ears might be a little mroe tuned to loud and good sound than most people

Yeah, you mighthave blown the amp, in which case you'll have to bypass it, but if your after market head unit is putting out more that 15W per channel then you'll probably want to bypass it for sheer sound quality and a minimal volume gain, it's not hard to bypass because all you need to do are remove three screws and 8 clips to have easy access, I even removed mine and am planning to sell it to some sucker on e-bay.

Thanks for all the help! I ahvent ahd time this week to emss with it, but I guess Ill bypass it and see what happens. How exactly do i bypass it? Do I need to buy a harness or something? What all is required to bypass it? Thanks again! :)

You can either buy a direct plug in replacement, or do a search for the bypass diagram and match them up and use connectors or solder them.

Back