Factory Amp? Aftermarket CD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Amp? Aftermarket CD

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 2DR E Bauer
ok i got the wiring harness for my 81 explorer when i bought my cd player and now i hooked up everything and no sound through the speakers. it has the 2 plug harness(black plug and a thick grey wire where the speaker wires are) my question is how do i wire up this cd player using the factory amp and no other wiring harnesses? and if i cant use the factory amp, how do i wire the speakers to the cd player, cause i cut the connector off the grey wire and there is 9 wires, 8 insulated colored wires and one non insulated wire, what does that wire do? i have no idea with these factory amps...help soon i wanna get it done this weekend. i know someone here will know.

ps my explorer came with the headunit with just cassette and a toggle volume control, not a knob.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most aftermarket hook up harnesses have a power wire you can hook up to use the factory amp. The factory amp sucks, and sound quality won't be much better than stock. I'd pull the rear panel, and the door panels, and start cutting, and soldering/spliceing wires. You can find the correct speaker wires and polarity usinf a AA battery. If you hook them up correctly to the battery, the speakers will fuzz and push out. If it goes in they are out of phase.

i have a 98 x where is the factory amp located and what is the rms wattage output from it and should i change the factory amp to a small 4 channel one?

The good news is that you don't have a factory amp. In 98 Ford intergrated the amp into the headunit. If you install an aftermarket HU, it will run the door speakers with no bypassing. I wouldn't add an aftermarket amp without adding aftermarket speakers.

thanks my hu is a pioneer top of the line high power mosfeit cd dech and the factory speekers just dont handle the power from the hu i am going to up grade them to digitalaudioinc.com 6x8 speakers they handle 110 watts rms front and back two sets of them

Back