New Cloyes Tensioners for cold start rattle.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Cloyes Tensioners for cold start rattle....

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4x4 SOHC
Hey everyone I have a 1999 sport 4.0 SOHC with 140k. I picked it up in decent shape and fixed up just about everything and drove her another 1,000 miles or more to make sure it was tip top. New BFG AT KO2s, new recliner, sear track, wiper motor, trim bits, tstat, fluids etc

I decided to replace my tensioners with Cloyes brand units as I had a cold start only rattle from both cassettes.

A day after replacing both cassette tensioners I now have a 2,000 to 3,000 rpm light rattle from the drivers side front cassette. Wonderful.

It's a light rattle barely audible over the radio and blower if you listen, but its there.

I was hoping it was the squeaky serp idler or tensioner but i dont think Im that lucky. I have heard some people have bad low buck budget brand tensioners due the same, but i doubt swapping the 140k FoMoCo units would be any benifit.

Is this how many over your chain rattles sounded as they started? Thoughts ?advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the primary chain tensioner or balance shaft tensioner. Drop the oil pan and see what kind of goodies are sitting in the bottom of it. But it sounds like that thrown cam sprocket will have you shopping for a new used engine. Quality is job 2 after Profit being job 1.

This is why I'm very leery about changing tensioners on high mileage SOHC's. I think the act of removing the old tensioner(s) and perhaps installing a new stronger tensioner(s) can cause the plastic guides to break, or perhaps they're already cracked and they just fall apart. I agree that you should drop the oil pan and see what's sitting in the bottom. Maybe brown/tan plastic parts, maybe metal parts, but whatever you find it will be bad news. It's hard to say how long your engine will continue to run before it jumps time and self destructs. We got 2 years worth of daily driving out of our first SOHC, which rattled terribly from the day my daughter bought it. Cleaning the broken bits out of the oil pan and oil pickup screen can only help, as it will prevent the oil pickup from being blocked and losing oil pressure.

Yeah when i say it ate a sprocket i mean it lost the sprocket as in its just the hub. You can see it through the oil filler.

The engine is trashed. Think of buying a reman from FoMoCo they are 500 more than the next best which is performance powertrain but they give a better basic warranty.

Truck is too nice not to fix. Especially since i have a shop and a lift at my house

Yeah when i say it ate a sprocket i mean it lost the sprocket as in its just the hub. You can see it through the oil filler.

The engine is trashed. Think of buying a reman from FoMoCo they are 500 more than the next best which is performance powertrain but they give a better basic warranty.

Plus Ford requires the usr of Ford setvice parts, others use non improved parts

Definitely. If you are willing to do the work do a drop in. You will easily get another couple hundred out of her if you use synthetic and keep up on maintenance. Even better if you add a pre-oiler I bet.

I've looked into the pre-olers for my 2001 Sport Trac.

I've decided that for the first cold start, cranking the starter with the accelerator pressed to the floor for a few seconds until oil pressure builds is way easier, less expensive and more reliable than a pre-oiler.

Putting a pre-oiler on the engine provides way more failure points for catastrophic loss of oil.

I'm working with a local Ford dealer, the FoMoCo remans are done in texas by a ford only national rebuilder (Possibly ACR?).

The long block includes:

.030 over
New pistons and rings
Checked and recon con rods
Decking of block
Milling of head
3 angle valve job of head
New valves
New springs
New keepers
New cassettes
New tensioners
New cams
Total gasket set
Includes new exhaust manifolds
New lower intake and thermostat housing
Harmonic balencer
All new exhaust studs
Valve covers
New water pump
New timing cover

All new genuine FoMoCo parts are used for rebuild.

3 yr unlimited mileage warranty

Unconditional/ all aceppted cores

Warranty is covered regardless if they install it, an independent installs it, or you install it.

Right now he knocked 800 off the price and says there is a 200 FoMoCo. Gift card/rebate

I'm working with a local Ford dealer, the FoMoCo remans are done in texas by a ford only national rebuilder (Possibly ACR?).

The long block includes:

.030 over
New pistons and rings
Checked and recon con rodsh
Decking of block
Milling of head
3 angle valve job of head
New valves
New springs
New keepers
New cassettes
New tensioners
New cams
Total gasket set
Includes new exhaust manifolds
New lower intake and thermostat housing
Harmonic balencer
All new exhaust studs
Valve covers
New water pump
New timing cover

All new genuine FoMoCo parts are used for rebuild.

3 yr unlimited mileage warranty

Unconditional/ all aceppted cores

Warranty is covered regardless if they install it, an independent installs it, or you install it.

Right now he knocked 800 off the price and says there is a 200 FoMoCo. Gift card/rebate

Oh I called aout 6 or 7 other national or large rebuilders or reman wholesalers...one that advertises on the Powerblock told me they reuse tensioners and chains if ok on disassembly.... uh no.

I'd never or ever have rebuilt something with used tensioners or chains

I ordered my FoMoCo long block yesterday. Comes with valvcovers, intakes, exhaust manifolds, dampner front cover water pump, filter, oil plugs, .30 over, new tchains guides and tensioners, new cams and refurbed rods and crank with a total gasket set for the remaining items.

4 year unlimited mileage plus no questions no rejections core

Dunno if this will help, but my rattling was bad at idle but only at idle, but then few days ago it got worse at idle and horrible at 3k, so that;s when I stopped driving it.

I ordered my FoMoCo long block yesterday. Comes with valvcovers, intakes, exhaust manifolds, dampner front cover water pump, filter, oil plugs, .30 over, new tchains guides and tensioners, new cams and refurbed rods and crank with a total gasket set for the remaining items.

4 year unlimited mileage plus no questions no rejections core

If you don't mind me asking, what did it run you from Ford?

Back