New Ford Sync compatibility question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Sync compatibility question

ntwell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
I promise that this is not the same/duplicate thread already inquiring about upgrading current model years to the recently announced Sync 3 system. My question is directed to Rebecca from Ford.

Is it possible that our 2011-2015 model year Fords with MFT might be upgraded to include compatibility with the coming offerings from Android and Apple? Two separate articles, (Article 1 and Article 2) make reference to Fords future compatibility with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but the references didn't offer too many specifics. Article 1 does state the Sync 3 will be compatible (though they incorrectly state that the new version will be running on Microsoft), but Article 2 merely says that "Ford will support Android Auto and CarPlay eventually"

I am a relatively new owner of a 2014 Explorer with MFT, so I have not had the level of problems of many of the previous model year owners. However, I have had random reboots (very disconcerting), experience the Ambient Lightning bug, and have the same frustrations with voice commands that so many other users have. Personally, I hope that more car manufacturers step away from creating their own proprietary "infotainment" systems, and focus more on tightly integrating the offerings from the major mobile phone operating systems.

I would be much happier if only the necessary functions (ie. climate, vehicle reports AM/FM radio) were tied to the MFT system directly, and as soon as I plug in my phone, the entertainment section changed to the interface needed for use with my handset.

So to Rebecca: Is it even remotely possible that existing Ford Sync systems will be updated to be compatible with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, or is this merely a pipe dream?

Thanks to everyone for looking, and I will be checking in for comments and hopefully answers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I guess your response is better than I was hoping for. I thought for sure that the automatic response was going to be that the system was not upgradable for compatibility with the new technologies from Android and Apple, so I will take an "I don't know at this point" answer.

I downloaded the 3.7 update just today, but didn't drive the explorer, so didn't have the 30 minutes that the update requires. As soon as I attempt the update, I will report it back to the Ford Owner site, as well as a brief post here. I don't expect much as I don't use the Nav functionality, and don't qualify for the Sync services while I'm stationed here in Germany, but I will certainly let the forum know of the status of the update.

Thanks for the response.

Is it possible that our 2011-2015 model year Fords with MFT might be upgraded to include compatibility with the coming offerings from Android and Apple?

Since both the Apple and Android offerings require the QNX stack as the underlying platform, it is highly, highly unlikely. Also, can you ever remember a time when a car manufacturer went back and upgraded previous model years for anything? I can't.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/blackberrys-qnx-why-its-so-valuable-to-apple-google-auto-industry/

Apple's CarPlay has to ride on top of BlackBerry's QNX platform for in-auto entertainment systems. Ford was reportedly pondering a swap from Microsoft to QNX to for its Sync platform. And it's highly likely that the front end of Google's Android in-vehicle efforts are also going to have a QNX play.

:(Ouch, well I hadn't read about that. I guess that makes this much less likely then. I guess the best I can hope for at this point is that Ford makes the Sync 3 system available as an upgrade to us legacy owners via a hardware buy...

what has changed in the last two days??

Now my iphone will not sync automatically everytime I start the car? must be manually sync'ed each time. what a PITA

i now have no navigation/map and phone that work on the main screen . 2 of the 4 features.............50% failure, about right for Ford.

what has changed in the last two days??

Now my iphone will not sync automatically everytime I start the car? must be manually sync'ed each time. what a PITA

i now have no navigation/map and phone that work on the main screen . 2 of the 4 features.............50% failure, about right for Ford.

Power recycle your iPhone.

[MENTION=175875]182RG[/MENTION] - I have already read most of the threads on the forums pertaining to the Sync 3 announcements and, yes I have read the thread that you linked to. I read Rebecca's response and while she is speaking on behalf of Ford, there is nothing to say that Ford couldn't change their mind if the overwhelming response from the unhappy Ford Sync Gen 1 and 2 users is that we need the option of a hardware upgrade. If the QNX based Sync 3 proves to be a better system over all, plus it allows the compatibility of the Apple and Android system integration offerings, then it would be in Ford's best interest to make that system available to legacy owners.

Posts in other Ford forums by IVT engineers have proven that the hardware swap is possible, and I for one would happily pay to have a new head unit installed if it functioned more smoothly, and allowed the integration of CarPlay and Android Auto. The two offerings from the mobile giants give users the ability to rely less on car manufacturers for updated entertainment software, while still having the option to utilize the on-board system.

I will hold out hope, however foolishly, that representatives like Rebecca are bringing the feedback from these forums to the IVT developers, and that someday, Ford will make things right.

[MENTION=213706]Rebecca[/MENTION], I successfully completed the update to 3.7 yesterday with no problems whatsoever. It completed in a matter of about 20 minutes, and as expected, wiped out my Bluetooth connections and custom wallpaper. As I stated earlier, I don't expect to see any change, as the only reported changes pertain to the Navigation functions, which I don't have or use. Looking forward to updates that address the ambient lighting issue, and continue to increase stability and UI performance.

I believe 3.7 addressed the Ambient Lighting issue. Mine has remained on the selected colour since the update.

Peter

Back