New guy with 1st gen

lvin4jc

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
??? ??? ???
Hi all, Joe from Rapid City, SD here.

I drive a rat rod during the summer so I decided to get something I could off road with and drive in the winter. After a bunch of research the Explorer won me over (The fact that i've been a lifelong Ford guy helped a little).

So yesterday I picked up a real gem, lol. She's a 1994 Limited that's been neglected for a while. Body is straight, little rust around wheel arches and rockers but I don't think anything's completely through the metal, not much anyway. Engine starts right up, sounds good. Couldn't find any evidence of oil and antifreeze mixing anywhere. Transmission is reported to have been rebuilt 30k ago. Shifts well.

The interior however... is a pigsty, in fact it's the neglected closet in the guest room of the pigsty that no one is supposed to see. The radio is missing, the 4x4 switch (which isn't working right now) is hanging out next to a missing air vent and the bezel for those two is missing. The door panels up front are a mess complete with wood screws to hold them on. And the upper door hinge on the driver's side has wallowed out to the point that the door won't close unless you lift it a good 2".

But I did want something I could wheel without worrying about and I paid $400 so we'll polish this thing and get it trail worthy and have a good time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the making of a great trail rig.:chug:

Welcome to this forum! Make a photo thread to show your progress while repairing it.
Will do, do I do that under the modified first gen forum or where? Work starts today on it!

Back