• Register Today It's free!

New member from MI

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0
Hi my name is Scott and i just joined but have been checking out the threads as a guest.I was going to join a couple years ago when i got my 98 toreador red mountaineer but thought i was to late to the party.Its seems that the explorer craze whats at its peak in 2007.But have noticed people talking about the OBX headers on ebay.

Few things about me and the truck.I am 29 and and i bought my Mountaineer from the original family that got it new in 98.They kept up on the body pretty good but the maintenance not so good.I have had the motor rebuilt with a few goodies and am installing a triple gauge pod and doing some custom led lighting.Have some custom exhaust work done and have MSD coils and a custom air intake.Have stock wheels that i made look pretty nice and have BF goodrich AT's on them.I do plan on a total body restore and more serious engine work in the future.I also plan on a manual T case conversion at some point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scott, welcome.

Glad to hear that you will be restoring an older Explorer. Welcome to the forum:chug:

Glad to hear that you will be restoring an older Explorer. Welcome to the forum:chug:

Yes sir the restoration is well underway ! I have ordered a rust free rear hatch from texas and its in my garage.I need to order 2 rear doors from texas next.I was going to just patch the vehicle but i want all paint to match.I know there is no way in hell any paint shop is going to be able to match that old paint from 1998 so i plan on a full repaint in the future of the original ford colors.

I just love that 2 tone toreador red metallic with the gold v8 pin stripe on the side ! Its so pretty in the morning sun with the stock wheels all polished up and the white letter BFG's.

People think i am weird and when i say i am restoring a mountaineer.........They scoff at me and give me dirty looks.I guess i just see something in that vehicle that no ones else sees.

Looks identical to this one

And almost just as perfect

649080.jpg

That is a great color:chug:

It does turn people's heads when its all shiny and clean ! I get an occasional thumbs up.I Am willing to bet tho if it was white or black or blue i wouldn't get as many people looking at it.I know ford had a special test mountaineer back in the day that was supercharged with gold stripes and it was also toreador red.The most common reaction from people is...WOW i have never seen one like that or wow i have never seen someone make one of these look so nice.Lots of people dont even know that the motor is the old mustang engine from 1995 with a few updates.

I am surprised of the lack of knowledge that people have about these vehicles.Like they just daily drive em and never give the vehicle a second thought.

I even paid like 100$ to fix my power antenna ! lol

Back