new member from pittsburgh here | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new member from pittsburgh here

Reaction score
City, State
pttsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 explorer sport
Hi all, just picked up a brand new 18 Explorer sport on Saturday, very nice vehicle, fun to drive. I was asking some questions on the ford-trucks.com, ford truck enthusiast forums in the explorer section but not much response, I was referred here from a guy over there.

this is my third explorer, had a 2001 sport trac, a 2008 mountaineer, and a 2010 mountaineer, I am very familiar with the good old 4.0 v6. I heard some issues with the turbochargers on this new generation of ecoboost engines so I was afraid to buy one. I keep my vehicles beyond 100,000 miles. I had the sport trac 9 years, still have the 2010, passed it on to my daughter. I still have the 2002 F-150 that I bought in 2003.

I ended up taking a chance on it, I did purchase powertrain warranty, 10 year, 120,000 miles so I think im covered. Anything I need to know or common issues to watch for on this new generation of explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 2018 is too new to pin point any issues with it. As for the 5th generation there are several threads here on potential issues that may occur. One suggestion is to familiarize yourself with the use of the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). The question has been asked many times. Here are links to some of the posts. It may also be a good idea to browse through the sub forums to see what has been discussed.
Looking to buy an explorer, need some tips!
Thinking of buying a Gen V....suggestions.

Peter

Thanks, I did search "turbo" and really didn't see any issues, didn't really think about trying the other phrases under search. I will probably brose the forums once or twice a week so I will get up to date with the site.

Just for having that name I think I'll have to ban you lol.

On a more serious note, I'd cancel that 3rd party warranty (not a Ford warranty you bought) and go through my contact that the forum members use and buy a genuine Ford ESP. He sells them to us at cost.

Just for having that name I think I'll have to ban you lol.

On a more serious note, I'd cancel that 3rd party warranty (not a Ford warranty you bought) and go through my contact that the forum members use and buy a genuine Ford ESP. He sells them to us at cost.
do you think I will have trouble using that warranty? I questioned it but they guaranteed me that Zurich is the largest warranty company in the country, I was promised I would have no issues. Those salesman wouldn't lie to me would they??? lol.

I've never been a huge fan of extended warranties. I see on a lot of online forums that they are useful for some people, but I have never had any direct experience with a modern vehicle ****ting the bed in a major way before 100K miles and needing several thousand dollars of out of pocket repairs, nor have I known anyone personally that had the same occur.

I know it happens to people and I do know of a few instances of vehicles that were not maintained properly that had some hefty repair bills, but that was mainly because the owners were real turds and didn't even do regular oil changes or any maintenance whatsoever.

As for your warranty, I don't believe Ford offers a 10 year powertrain care option, so if you want 10 years of coverage, you may have to stay with what you have. I believe the Ford powertrain care warranty is quite limited also. There are plenty of potential issues you could have that would not be covered by powertrain care that could lead to repair bills in the many hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

If you are not financially able to cover a several thousand dollar repair bill and can't be without a vehicle, a comprehensive extended warranty with rental coverage may be warranted. If you are financially able to cover an emergency repair bill, you may be better off opting out of the extended warranty and self insuring.

Leasing may be a better option for some - 120 months of lease payments at $500/mth is $60K and with 3/36 leases, you would be under factory warranty the entire time and should have little to no out of pocket maintenance/repairs - a purchase @$45-50K plus financing, warranty and maintenance/repairs over 10 years could easily equal or exceed the lease cost. Not trying to cover every possible detail, but hopefully conveyed the general picture. The devil is always in the details and there is risk regardless of which way one proceeds.

I know this site pushes the ESP coverage through Joel pretty hard, but everyone has to do what makes the most sense for themselves. Best of luck.

Welcome to this forum! I've seen dealerships turn down work on vehicles under a warranty because they were too busy. They tell you to try another dealership or be on a waiting list which could take months. Maybe it's not like this out of NY but it's like that where I live. Have the dealer check to see if there are any TSBs or recalls for your year.

I own three vehicles that have well over 100,000 miles on the clock. I am a mechanic so I have no problem making any repairs needed. My only reason for purchasing this warranty is that I have heard issues, mainly with the F150's, of turbo failures above 100,000 miles. I have heard one case from a guy I know where the impeller pieces caused internal engine damage. This is what I want coverage for. I do not want to have to tear the engine out and tear it down at such low mileage.
I figure when I hit about 119,000 miles, if the original turbo's are still intact, I will replace them at that time just as a preventative measure. I have seen and repaired many turbo failures on diesels and it makes quite a mess.

do you think I will have trouble using that warranty? I questioned it but they guaranteed me that Zurich is the largest warranty company in the country, I was promised I would have no issues. Those salesman wouldn't lie to me would they??? lol.

Well since they promised... Lol

Google them and read reviews. Some are stupid but some point out exactly why I hate 3rd parties.. they have to wait for an "inspector to come out and look at the failure.

They also don't have to use OEM parts and many times won't approve that.

I would only stick with a genuine Ford ESP.

Back