• Register Today It's free!

New member needs help

Knight1989

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Forks ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Hey all, joined the site a while back and havent really kept very active since I was deployed. The wife has finally let me start working on her explorer since the warranty just expired here recently. But here today a small problem arrised. The check engine light popped on. I hooked up my code scanner and it says the problem is the 4th cylinder is misfiring. What are some possable problems other than the spark plug and wire? How much of an immediate crisis is this? And which cylinder is the 4th cylinder on a V6? I never understood how the cylinders were numbered. Thanks for any help, and love the site.

number 4 cylinder

The nuber 4 cylinder is the driver's side front cylinder. Ford numbers their engines starting at front passenger side with that being the #1 cylinder, and proceeding down the passenger side to #2, #3, etc (depending on how many cylinders you have). Once you run out of cylinders on the passenger side, you start with the front cylinder on the driver's side and count up going to the fire wall. I am assuming you have a 6-cylinder enginge. If you have and 8 cylinder, the number 4 cylinder would be on passenger's side, next to the firewall. Some possible causes are: as you stated, the plug and wire, but it could also be the coil pack for that cylinder. I believe you can switch coil packs with a different cylinder and see if the misfire moves to the new cylinder. Hope this helps.

whats the mileage, i would try that and if nothing, look at replacing the plugs and wires..... make sure you reset the computer before and after each test and after as well so you can actually see whats happening, otehrwise it will jsut store the info

Back