New member with a couple of questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member with a couple of questions

aeford66

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I have a new to me 2004 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC. It throws the code PO401. I know this indicates insufficient EGR flow. I have also read that if can be caused by a bad DPFE sensor. Looking for the sensor, it appears to be a part of the EGR valve assembly. Can it be replaced separately? I am guessing not.

Where should I begin to look to solve the slow filling fuel tank? I checked the filler hose and saw no kinks or anything obvious.

I need to replace the rear wheel bearings. Any recommendations as to brand?

Thanks for any advice.

The DPFE sensor is part of the EGR system but can be service separately. It is located on the top of the two smaller tubes running off of the main EGR tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the intake. When they start to fail they usually cause an overly lean condition that will cause your engine to hesitate and momentarily cut out. DPFE sensors are a weak link in the system but I would check the vacuum line to the EGR valve for any leaks and replace both the EGR valve and DPFE sensor. You can do this yourself for around $100. Also, buy the Motorcraft DPFE sensor and not the parts store chain Chinese junk (they often don't work when brand new). You can purchase one from Amazon for $39.00.

The DPFE sensor is part of the EGR system but can be service separately. It is located on the top of the two smaller tubes running off of the main EGR tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the intake. When they start to fail they usually cause an overly lean condition that will cause your engine to hesitate and momentarily cut out. DPFE sensors are a weak link in the system but I would check the vacuum line to the EGR valve for any leaks and replace both the EGR valve and DPFE sensor. You can do this yourself for around $100. Also, buy the Motorcraft DPFE sensor and not the parts store chain Chinese junk (they often don't work when brand new). You can purchase one from Amazon for $39.00.

My EGR tube does not have any smaller tubes, it goes straight from exhaust to EGR valve assembly. There is what appears to be a DPFE sensor right on top of the EGR Valve, Like this one:
images

I can't see any way to remove it from the valve.

Yeah, I looked it up in my shop manual and in 2004 Ford incorporated the DPFE sensor into the EGR assembly so your only choice is to replace the whole unit. If you do it yourself it can be done for a little over $100 and and hour or so of your time. Be sure to soak the EGR pipe connection with a good penetrating catalyst spray to loosen it up and also make sure you get a new gasket with the valve.

Back