New member with power steering issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New member with power steering issues.

agireland

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 OHV 4X4
Howdy,
I'm new to this site and not sure how to post questions in forums. I've got a 2000 Explorer with the 4.0L OHV. I just put new plugs, wires, fuel filter, O2 sensors, and intake manifold o-rings and gasket to chase down a check engine light for a left bank lean code. Also ended up replacing the DPFE sensor and hoses leading to the egr tube due to heat damage (melted holes). Also had to replace egr tube cause the Hanynes book didnt bother to mention that there were two bolts underneath the egr valve that would separate the tube coming out of the intake manifold from the egr valve and I broke the tube trying to detach it from the exhaust manifold. Now I am trying to eliminate a power steering problem. The fluid was shooting out of the vent in the resevior cap! I replaced the pump, and followed the directions for bleeding the system but the steering wheel still fights me with the tires on the ground and the engine running. Any suggestions are welcome. And I would love to know why fluid was shooting out of the vent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Power Steering Issues

My power steering pump was shooting fluid out of the vent cap for the resevior. I have the OHV engine with the resevior attached to the pump. I replaced the pump today and followed the directions for flushing and bleeding the system. However the steering wheel fights me with the tires on the ground and the new pump is whining. What the heck? Do I need to replace the pressure and return lines and maybe the steering box? And why was fluid shooting out of the vent hole in the first place?

Yep, checked the hoses and nothing kinked or pinched. Could it be a partial blockage in the power steering cooler? Can I check that by unhooking the hoses and blowing compressed air thru? Or is there somewhere else I should be checking?

It isnt blowing out now that I replaced the pump. Now the steering wheel "fights" me with the tires on the ground. I have flushed and bled the system but it still seems to have air in it. How do I determine where the air is coming from? I checked all of the fittings and everything is tight. The new plastic ring for the pressure line fitting broke when I tried to stretch it over the fitting, but I loaded it up with teflon tape.

The stiff steering might be the result of fragments caught in your system from the old pump. I had this happen one time on an 89 Mercury Sable. The pump was replaced, and it was still stiff. A second pump was installed, and it got stiff again. The rebuilder opened up both pumps, and found metal fragments in both of them. The rack & pinion, lines, and pump had to be replaced in order to fix it. There were no more problems after everything was replaced.

Back