New member | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BennyBauer

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Expl. Eddie Bauer 4WD
Hey all, bought a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD(166,181) miles not too long ago for $2100. Already have 167,553 miles on it. I've been using it as my daily and have had a ton of fun with it already, put a 3" front lift and 2" rear, mounted auxiliary lights and the cheapest roof rack I could find, it's also been stuck and pulled out of mud four times now(highway tires) but has still proved itself to be a pretty good offroader. So far it hasn't left me stranded anywhere mechanically, I've just gotten myself stuck. The only things wrong with it are that there's a small exhaust leak somewhere on the manifold and something wrong with the intake manifold(haven't discovered what yet) and the Wheel hub going bad on the driver's side(just happened). Other than those things it works great, all electronics work well, the 4WD is strong and engages good. Overall this thing has already given some awesome memories and I can't wait to spend more money to get more.
(older photo without lights or roof rack but looks mostly the same)
splorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, bought a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD(166,181) miles not too long ago for $2100. Already have 167,553 miles on it. I've been using it as my daily and have had a ton of fun with it already, put a 3" front lift and 2" rear, mounted auxiliary lights and the cheapest roof rack I could find, it's also been stuck and pulled out of mud four times now(highway tires) but has still proved itself to be a pretty good offroader. So far it hasn't left me stranded anywhere mechanically, I've just gotten myself stuck. The only things wrong with it are that there's a small exhaust leak somewhere on the manifold and something wrong with the intake manifold(haven't discovered what yet) and the Wheel hub going bad on the driver's side(just happened). Other than those things it works great, all electronics work well, the 4WD is strong and engages good. Overall this thing has already given some awesome memories and I can't wait to spend more money to get more.
(older photo without lights or roof rack but looks mostly the same)
View attachment 434816
welcome to EF! the EBs sure are nice!

@BennyBauer She's one beautiful beast! 167k is surprisingly low, for a 2nd-gen. What engine have you got?

I'd recommend changing both front hubs when you do the one, and do the bearings too, if they look worn - save yourself some time and trouble later, if money isn't tight. And while you're under there, go ahead and check out the tie rod ends and ball joints, just to see how they look. These 2nd-gens are a blast to drive every time, but there are a few certain components to keep an eye on, as they age and wear.

If you show us the sticker on the edge of the driver's door, we can tell you all kinds of things about your Explorer that will come in handy if you plan on modifying it a lot, over the years. Can't promise our info will be perfectly accurate, since the vehicle might have been modified in less-than-visible ways before you owned it, but we can at least tell you what it had from the factory!

Hope you find this forum useful! Happy Explorations!

@BennyBauer She's one beautiful beast! 167k is surprisingly low, for a 2nd-gen. What engine have you got?

I'd recommend changing both front hubs when you do the one, and do the bearings too, if they look worn - save yourself some time and trouble later, if money isn't tight. And while you're under there, go ahead and check out the tie rod ends and ball joints, just to see how they look. These 2nd-gens are a blast to drive every time, but there are a few certain components to keep an eye on, as they age and wear.

If you show us the sticker on the edge of the driver's door, we can tell you all kinds of things about your Explorer that will come in handy if you plan on modifying it a lot, over the years. Can't promise our info will be perfectly accurate, since the vehicle might have been modified in less-than-visible ways before you owned it, but we can at least tell you what it had from the factory!

Hope you find this forum useful! Happy Explorations!
It has the 4.0 SOHC V6. Here's the door sticker, thanks!

20220927_165917.jpg

@BennyBauer Thanks! I don't have a link to the door sticker decoder I used to use, but this one is pretty good. Doesn't have as much info as I'd like.

WB: 112 - this means 112" wheelbase, A.K.A. all 4-doors
BRK: 4 - 4-wheel disc brakes (should be all 2nd-gens)
INT TR: FX - F means leather bucket seats, X means Prairie Tan color.
TP/PS: (blank) - a character here would indicate the color of body stripes. (Yours has none, so it is blank.)
R: K - my knowledge does not cover this. I heard it refers to the radio, but both of mine say 'K' despite having different radios.
AXLE: D2 - D means limited slip differential, 2 means 4.10 axle ratio. Score for you!
TR: D - Transmission, if I recall correctly this refers to the 5R55E (should be, since you have the SOHC)
SPR: BF - B represents your front suspension springs, F represents the rear. The earlier the letter in the alphabet, the stiffer the springs, as I recall.

I upgraded to B-code springs on the Sport when I went to 33's. They handle them like a champ!

@BennyBauer Thanks! I don't have a link to the door sticker decoder I used to use, but this one is pretty good. Doesn't have as much info as I'd like.

TP/PS: (blank) - a character here would indicate the color of body stripes. (Yours has none, so it is blank.)
R: K - my knowledge does not cover this. I heard it refers to the radio, but both of mine say 'K' despite having different radios.
AXLE: D2 - D means limited slip differential, 2 means 4.10 axle ratio. Score for you!
TR: D - Transmission, if I recall correctly this refers to the 5R55E (should be, since you have the SOHC)
SPR: BF - B represents your front suspension springs, F represents the rear. The earlier the letter in the alphabet, the stiffer the springs, as I recall.

I upgraded to B-code springs on the Sport when I went to 33's. They handle them like a champ!
which radio is in yours? the premium, or the base? the prem/mach (prem in my XLT, mach in the EBs i seen) looks largely similiar and even both have sub connectors, etc. so i wonder if ford treats them as the same? different PN and slightly different since the mach has actual output to the sub and reduces low frequency to the doors, but the prem has low level signal in it, which means they are quite similiar i would imagine. they also look externally identical. id be interested to look in the door sticker of a base radio X and see. just wondering if that is part of it? dunno.

@Fix4Dirt To build on this detail of controversy, both of my X's have code K in that section. The Sport had the Premium radio, my example of which doesn't have the subwoofer connector on the back (checked against the Mach from my Limited) - it has a little "dummy" space where the plug fits, but no contacts to plug into. I'm 98.5% confident that plug is for the subwoofer, because I tested both units with loud, bass-heavy music, and when that plug was not plugged in, the subwoofer stopped responding.

I can't state with positive certainty that the radios either of my Ex's came with are the factory examples, though. There could also have been some discrepancies between the 2-door and 4-door radio options. This could be interesting to look into.

yes thats what i mean the dummy plug, mine had contacts iirc, but it didnt do nothing 🤣 if its a small block square iirc or nearly then its the sub plug had 8 pins iirc. but yes, thats the one. I do wonder if the prem and machs were considered the same, since externally they appear the same. this would be interesting to look at other examples to see.
@Fix4Dirt To build on this detail of controversy, both of my X's have code K in that section. The Sport had the Premium radio, my example of which doesn't have the subwoofer connector on the back (checked against the Mach from my Limited) - it has a little "dummy" space where the plug fits, but no contacts to plug into. I'm 98.5% confident that plug is for the subwoofer, because I tested both units with loud, bass-heavy music, and when that plug was not plugged in, the subwoofer stopped responding.

I can't state with positive certainty that the radios either of my Ex's came with are the factory examples, though. There could also have been some discrepancies between the 2-door and 4-door radio options. This could be interesting to look into.

I forgot to mention the interior is largely messed up(lots of clips and plastic slots are broken, all carpet has been ripped up and hastily put back) due to it being searched by police for a drug bust, found 19.8 lbs of cocaine, kinda weird to think the previous owner was using it as a drug runner but hey that police auction price is awesome. Unfortunately the search has made the interior very squeaky and rattly but sometimes I'm lucky and it goes away.

@BennyBauer Yeah, a cop search will tear stuff up in a car, for sure! Any of the things that particularly bother you, you can always look around for junk yard parts. If the carpet isn't in good condition, you might consider replacing that too, or find some thing else to cover the floor (I wouldn't recommend bed liner, but some people use it) if you're going to go hard wheeling with it on the regular. Saves time cleaning it up.

Welcome.

Back