New Owner of a 2007 2x4 Eddie Bauer - Muttly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Owner of a 2007 2x4 Eddie Bauer - Muttly

MuttlyExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer EddieBauer
Hello, I'm Paul and this is my newly acquired 2007 Dark Cherry Red Eddie Bauer 2wd Explorer. I've named it Muttly because of all the damn dog hair I cleaned (and am still cleaning) out of it when I got it. It has the 4.6L V8 with 166k miles on it. Third row seating, tan interior, vinyl/cloth seats,6disc nav system, automatic running boards, tow package, and satellite radio. My mother bought it new in 2006 and basically gave it to me when she bought a new car last month.

When I got it home.
IMG_0598.jpg

There's a few issues with her obviously, but nothing serious.
Front bumper is damaged and grill is cracked from where she hit a flying tire tread on the freeway.
Back bumper is damaged from what looks like my step-father backing into a trailer tongue.
Couple little paint scrapes on the bumper and right rear door.
Rock chip in the windshield.
Rear shocks are blown.
Tachometer doesn't work.
Some gauge lights are out.
Charging system issue every once in a while (alternator tests good).
Tire pressure monitor comes on once a week. Tires are new and pressure is good.
Power driver seat mostly works, but needs a lot of muscle to move forwards and back.
The common manifold leak.
Rear speakers are blown.
Just started getting a misfire now at lower RPMs. Going to replace the plugs, air and fuel filters.
Really hard shift from first to second gear. All other gear shifts are smooth as silk. Going to get a transmission fluid flush.

So far, I've basically just cleaned the @(#$& out of it and driven it. Two days washing, vacuuming, waxing, scrubbing, etc and it looks so much better. There was a ton of dog hair in the car (hence the name) and fur was flying around as I drove home with the windows down. I've replaced the grill (ebay) and hood trim (online dealer). Pretty much everything works still: third row seats, running boards, sunroof, windows, keypad entry, cruise, stereo, etc.

After it's first real bath in years:
IMG_0782.jpg

Already replaced the hood, trunk, and glass shocks so nothing comes closing down when it shouldn't.

Going to be ordering some more parts this week and working on it before it gets too hot down here. And need to figure out why the grill and everything is sitting so damn low. There's an obvious issue with alignment of the hood to grill. Way too much of a gap there.

Other things I'm looking into (haven't searched yet, so this isn't a question thread):
Swapping cruise and stereo controls to the opposite sides. Every other car I've had has the stereo controls on the left and the cruise on the right.
Fixing the @#*$& tach and cluster lights. I did find a video on how to pull the cluster, so that won't be bad. I hope the tach is an easy fix.
Going to paint the step portion of the running boards hammertone black as the paint has already worn off by the driver side. Took a quick look at them today and it appears the whole piece will have to come off to be able to remove the black section.

And last night, the release handle broke for the right rear(middle?) seat, so looks like I'm off to the dealer tomorrow for a replacement. Online dealer wants $15, but then another $15 to ship it.

New e-bay grill and Ford hood trim piece:
IMG_0922.jpg

Figured out the stumbling issue... I think these are the original plugs that the factory put in.

IMG_1505.jpg

Back