New owner reporting in...

Aaron 4.6

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Cobra
Hi all-

Well after doing a LOT of carshopping with my wife over the past few weeks I finally went in for a 2000 XLT today. The information I have read on this board played a big role in my purchasing decision. After driving Rodeos, 4Runners, Xterras, Passports and three Explorers I'm glad to have all that behind me. I plan to lurk around as I learn about my truck and look forward to chipping in once in a while. Thanks for all the good info.

Here's what I went with:

2000 Explorer XLT, 4.0 SOHC, A/T, 2WD, moonroof, running boards, tan leather interior, AM/FM/CD, 43k miles. After 5 years of a POS Chevy S-10 this is a welcome change. See you on the boards!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site. it sounds like you bought a really nice explorer. the 4.0 SOHC is a nice engine. i want to pick up an 01-03 sport with the SOHC. you'll find lots of info here.
:)

Thanks, leenjen, although actually I just lied. Its actually the standard OHV motor, but in my excitement I typed SOHC. I guess I'll have to also check out the Drivetrain forums to see if there's any way to squeeze some more ponies out of the mill.

OHV or SOHC, its a big difference between the X and my Mustang.

there are plenty of ways to get a lot more power out of it. it all depends on how much you want to spend and which route you want to take (NA or FI).
since it's an OHV 4.0, it's damn near bulletproof.

OHV or SOHC?

Are you sure it is the OHV engine, because as far as I understand, the OHV was only offered through '96. Then the '97 plus included the SOHC engine.

Geoff:D

The OHV engine was offered until the 2000 model year. That was the last year you could get that motor. I thought that for the 2000 year that the SOHC motor came standard on the XLT and that the OHV was only available on the XLS.

Hey man, do more than lurk. Particiapte.
Every body here has some thing to offer.

Originally posted by 1995ExplorerXLT
The OHV engine was offered until the 2000 model year. That was the last year you could get that motor. I thought that for the 2000 year that the SOHC motor came standard on the XLT and that the OHV was only available on the XLS.

Carfax verified that its an XLT model, so no concerns that its an XLS badged as an XLT. The pic in the owners manual matches the OHV to my motor, so I'm pretty confident that I've got it identified correctly.

I looked at the motor specs, and the OHV makes decent torque, but its a real wheezer with the power peak coming in at a mid-4000 rpm. Clearly some mods that open up the flow would really help on the top end.

Does anyone know what the restrictions are? Is it the intake runners? Valve size? Cam profile? If its something pretty obvious I'd be serious about doing some tuning. Are there underdrive pulleys available? Electric fan conversions? Timing adjusters? (since its EDIS) How much does opening the exhaust help? Are there cat-back kits that are reasonably quiet? (bought this for my wife...

Guess its time to hit the search engines...

Here's a quick pic...
fc8fe1a9.jpg

you can get the intake manifold ported and a more agressive cam will definitely help it breathe better in the upper rpms.

Welcome to the boards Aaron!! It's a very nice looking rig you got there. From now on, you better PARTICIPATE instead of lurking around. ;) I tried to lurk around when I first bought mine but look at me now...more than 1500 posts!! You'll love this site!!

Huh?! You can get the OHV with all of those options on an XLT? Something doesn't add up here. I really think you have the SOHC. Is there a cover over the engine that says SOHC? I really don't think you have the OHV... you'll know it when you drive it. OHV = Pig. SOHC = Mad Powaz ;)

LMAO-

No one seems to be able to say this for sure, so its time to post some more pics. Here is a pic of the rear hatch with the XLT badge (Carfax has also verified the vehicles "XLT-ness")

fc8ef616.jpg

And HERE is a picture of the mill:

EDIT- Here's a thought. My truck was originally a lease vehicle used as a part of a fleet. Perhaps fleet vehicles can be ordered with slightly different trim configurations than vehicles strictly for private sale?

fc8ef5fa.jpg

OK, does that provide any additional info? BTW- here is the engine I am more accustomed to working on ... :confused:

fcb9c7d2.jpg

Welcome to the site man! You will have a great time here, while learning a bit too!

Wow, those are 2 cleeeaaaan engines! Without the cover, looks like the OHV engine, but like has been said, the SOHC was generally standard on the XLT's. Original owner probably heard about the early SOHC troubles and didn't want to deal and ordered an XLT w/ the OHV engine. Best of Luck!

<-------- Is a little **** about keeping his vehicles clean.

Honestly, I don't think the dealer needed to do ANY re-conditioning of my old S-10 in order to sell it. After 80k miles that truck was as clean and nice as the best of the vehicles that I test drove.

Well that's not an SOHC I can tell you that much, so it has to be an OHV :confused: Stupid Ford configurations...oh well, talk to Alec if you want that OHV to fly. But don't worry, i'll be getting an X-Charger when it's available and put out 250 RWHP and become the fastest V-6 X :D

Its definately an OHV, it looks exactly like mine.

Aaron 4.6 -- Could you show a couple of pics of the spark plug routing on the drivers side? Do the plug wires go around the back near the firewall (like the 97 manual shows) or do they route under the intake manifold?

Im asking because I just switched back to factory wires from Napa wires and I want to see if I have it the same as factory routing.

Thanks

No sweat, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow morning until I can get enough light to get a decent pic. I'll snap two or three for you from some different angles.

One more thing I just remembered. Before I decided if I wanted to just cruise the highways in my truck or be able to do some light-offroading, I drove a different 2000 XLT Explorer that was equipped with 4WD. That truck had the same OHV motor as the one I ended up buying, so it can't have been all that rare for a 2000 XLT to get the older motors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back