New Paint job, not looking good | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Paint job, not looking good

Your porrogative, however, I will go by what has worked for ME.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by kmaximus_77
A while back I posted about my new X and the bad paint job I had straight out the box, with the hood.

Well, I took it in last week to have them strip the paint and redo the hood and I got it back on friday.

I was very dissatisfied with the paint job ...

I stick by my reply in your original post, Make them swap the hood with another black explorer on the lot. You can't beat factory paint!!!

but unless its from the same batch of paint it wont be an exact match

MONMIX, thanks for the props:) I was going for simple and sweet. The inside is what I am really working on. I have about 400 DVD's waiting to be played on the road;)

97emerald, I agree with you. I would feel much better knowing the paint job was coming from the factory. And even more so now, because of the lousy service. I feel very skepitcal about the quality of anything they do to my X.

I will be going to another dealer, I didn't get to today, and see what they say. I won't tell them who did it right off the bat. But, I want to see what they say.

I won't be touching the paint as far as waxing or anything go right now. They last hands that touched it was theirs and it has there "taint" on it:)

I got the PR call today asking how my service was the past week and I lit into that poor girl for 30 minutes!!! She said I should get a call from the head manager tomorrow to make me feel better. She asked me very nicely to wait until after the 2 weeks to demand a different course of action. I agree, and said if I didn't like what I saw, I was gonna take a BIG step towards a different action. It felt good, but I feel sorry for that girl.

I will post picture later on, probably tomorrow, as the light is not that good outside right now. Also, lifted the hood today and to see the underside, I was too upset with the top to even look at the bottom. around the edge of the hood it's all cracked and lumpy and there are a few spots that the paint was scratched off when the put the hood back on. Anyone see that as a major rust problem or anything??

I appreciate all the comments. It reasurring hearing from other Explorer owner on this type of stuff.

Thanks

Originally posted by aldive
Your porrogative, however, I will go by what has worked for ME.

How do you know? Have you ever had a vehicle painted then immediately afterwards applied zaino?

Last year I had to get the hood painted as a tree limb fell on it. I first wiped the hood w/alchohol to remove the Zaino. Took to a local body shop & got it painted. Emailed Sal & he told me the same thing as aldive said. So, after about ten days I did the Zaino and have had no problems.
The hood looked great after the paint job. Even better after Zaino. Dont know why it works but then I dont know why electricity doesnt fall out of wall socketts either.

What is Zaino? I've see you people talking about it and all I know is that it makes your truck shiny. Where do you get it? How do you put it on? How much $?

I was wondering that as well, but I was gonna wait til I had a good paint job to put in on;)

I am upbeat about it, really, can't you tell. Really I am:)

Originally posted by 98FordX24
What is Zaino? I've see you people talking about it and all I know is that it makes your truck shiny. Where do you get it? How do you put it on? How much $?

Zaino goodies are the real deal in auto care products. Take a look at their website at http://www.zainobros.com/

dont hold your breath on ford doing anything for you.... i have had my fare share of run in's with the owner of the ford dealer over here... and lets just say all ford had to say was... we do not own the dealerships.. we have no control over them. we cant do anything for you..

Mike

Originally posted by Mikke
dont hold your breath on ford doing anything for you.... i have had my fare share of run in's with the owner of the ford dealer over here... and lets just say all ford had to say was... we do not own the dealerships.. we have no control over them. we cant do anything for you..
But Ford Customer Service will. Call them and tell them you are not being helped and that you were seriously considering buying another Ford but with the way things are going you are considering selling the Ford(s) you own now. Tell them that you have always been a loyal customer and you dont think you are being treated fairly or with respect. Ford Customer Service will do something.

All it took me was one phone call and they offered to pay 80% of the repair bill for my broken blend door.

Ford totally sucks. Thats all there is too it. I wrote them an e-mail concerning the faulty rear door handles, and they wrote me back asking for my VIN. I mailed it back to them and must have missed a digit because they told me they did a search and I wasn't the owner of the vehicle, and would I please not mail them in the future. I'm surprised I wasn't charged with something for the follow up e-mail.:mad:

Well, today I got a call from the head manager of the PR department. She said she was informed about the situation and she confronted the parts manager about it and told him to that special care of me. She basically kissed my a$$ for 15 minutes, and begging me to give them the 2 weeks and all that. They set a time for me and will have a car waiting that day and everything will be taken care of. So, atleast they are trying.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
Dont know why it works but then I dont know why electricity doesnt fall out of wall socketts either.

Damnit, now that you said that, I'm going to be wondering about it for the next week :confused:

When you take it back in, demand a new paint job. Orange peel is an unacceptable result anywhere, That says they either had the paint and the hood too cold, or put on successive coats without waiting for the first ones to dry properly. It CAN be buffed out, but you have to remove so much paint to get it smooth that you'll have problems soon. Don't forget that you also remove the clearcoat to smooth it out, then need to recoat, so buffing alone will not fix anything.

There also is no excuse for ANYTHING in the paint surface unless they did it outside. If they did that, they should lose their license. Hoods are one of the easiest things on a car to paint because they are nice and flat, and sit up nice on a paint stand. You should be able to see your reflection in the paint well enough to shave, immediately after painting. It won't get any better with time.

I will give them that one day to fix it, and when I return. I WILL demand a new paint job, because I know whatever they do quickly on that day won't cure the problem. I keep finding more things wrong with it and the women this morning was like, "with our small facilties we have to make do with what we have." That's not a good thing to say, if they can't do they job, it needs to be done someplace else and they need to pay for it. Atleast that's my thinking.

It only has 5000 miles on it right now, and I want to own this car for a good 8 years if I can, but I will not be having my paint job crack in peel in 2 years or 2 months. I WILL BRING THE THUNDER, sorry wrestling is on TV:)

That's horrible!

No excuse for that.

wow.. u can definately see a problem wtih that paint job.. id definately argue argue and argue till they do something about it. if it was something cheap and easy to fix, i wouldnt bother.. but seeing how it could cost alot, id just wear them down

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm with the person who said to switch the hood. there's never anything like a factory finish. even though the batch of paint is slightly different, it's better than orange peel. that's just crap. your X is still new and no real oxidation has taken place yet. you don't have to factor the age of the paint, it's still new. just get another hood from another black X on the lot and switch them.

Back