new radiator, Tranny lines drip drip dripping... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new radiator, Tranny lines drip drip dripping...

MagicMan

Reaction score
City, State
Twinsburg,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4X2
I need some advice guys. I installed a new radiator yesterday, and the cuplings to the tranny cooler lines are seeping. it seems to be coming from both ends of the brass fitting on both the upper and lower lines. These lines were a beast to get off the old radiator so I'm wondering if I should use some kind of sealant on them? I used the "o" rings that came with the new fittings and radiator, and have them very tight. I'm not losing much fluid at all, but they are always wet with tranny fluid so I know this would be a problem in the long run. Any Ideas?

Does it look like the leak is coming from your old line, or your new radiator? If it is from the new radiator, take it out, get it replaced under warranty, and be careful doing the job next time. Otherwise, I would replace those seals you just replaced, making sure you have them on properly.

Nice to see there is someone else from Columbus on this board.

the leak

is at the brass fitting between the old lines and the radiator. I'm thinking its still not tight enough but I know that some threads are supposed to show.

Back