Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Grit City, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 “Sport”
Know this is not a good sign . . .

Noticed radiator fluid dripping from the back side of my engine.

My initial guess is that I have cracked the engine block.

The head gasket gave out a few months ago, not substantial oil loss, but my once clean engine no has a decent coating of oil (burns/leaks about a quart every 2500 miles). Don't know if coolant loss is an extension of the blown head gasket, or a new, more sinister problem.

Can anyone confirm my fear - - and (ARRGH!!) tell me how much it might cost to fix this problem ??

Thanks in advance.

Paul
'91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your heater hoses.

First thing you should probably do is a compression test on the motor. You should have a minimum of 101 psi with a variance of no more than 25% cylinder to cylinder. I'd also pull the radiator cap when it's cold and start the motor to see if you get bubbles from compression back through. There's a post her somewhere that goes into more detail on what to look for and how to test for problems.

There is a freeze plug that is a b*tch to get to on the back of the block(right below the head) on each side that will rust out right before the ones on the side do. My bet is that is your problem. I had to cut my old one out with a flex shat dremel moto-tool and then use one of the rubber ones that tighten down with a wrench because it is so hard to get to. I think they are 1 1/2".

Thanks

Thanks for the help so far, guys. Although I had checked the main radiator hoses before, I literally crawled into the engine bay this afternoon to check all the radiator plumbing. No hose leakage from what I could see topside.

Jeff - Didn't do the bubble check (already had the engine going before I remembered to take off the radiator cap), but will try that tomorrow. As for the compression data - - that's kinda Greek to me - - if no bubbles, I'll take it to a shop. . .

If it helps, the fluid is draining right near the back of the block, dripping in the vicinity of the oil drain plug.

Mike - I'll also pass the freeze plug info to a shop; beyond my limited mechanical capabilities.

Thanks again - - Anyone else ??

Paul
'91 Sport

Back