new shocks. oh yeah! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new shocks. oh yeah!

I just replaced mine a short while ago with a KYB unit. $26.39 total delivered from AutoAnything using coupon code CAEA3.

Mine had a nice dent it it from my Gibson exhaust. It was not leaking. Was it still good :dunno: Can I tell a difference :dunno:

jremmington59 (what ever happened to him?) had this issue with his new Gibson exhaust system a while back and got Gibson to fix the problem and send him a new system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I vaguely remember something about that... :scratch:

for give me for asking but what are those bars connected to the lefsprings and where can i ge them

Traction rods. The V8s have them, they help prevent axle wind up.

You'd be able to get them from a junkyard or a hot rod shop.

You probably would need to weld on the front brackets. I don't know what they look like, we didn't get Gen 2 V8s here.

Traction rods. The V8s have them, they help prevent axle wind up.

You'd be able to get them from a junkyard or a hot rod shop.

You probably would need to weld on the front brackets. I don't know what they look like, we didn't get Gen 2 V8s here.
weird, never seen them on a V8 before, my Mountaineer doesn't have them

Maybe those ones aren't OEM?

A: Not OEM, definitely newer paint than the rest of the under body and suspension.

B: Not an Explorer. Quoted from the thread with the picture "I think GM adopted a different solution - their rear shocks have asymmetrical mounts (on front/back of axle), to emulate this horizontal damping component."

Those are on a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, according to the image name

Do the V8s usually have traction rods?

That's the impression I got from people posting here.

I have never noticed them on any 91-01 in the junkyards I have been to...

My '99 Mountaineer 5.0 does, my '00 XLT SOHC does not.

The XLT has holes in the frame for the bolt on mounting bracket but does not have the welded on bracket on the axle housing.

I have never noticed them on any 91-01 in the junkyards I have been to...

I wouldn't expect to see them on any 91-95, no factory V8. But you might not have seen them on the later years because they don't look like the ones in that GM photo. They don't mount under the leaf springs, they go from the top of the axle housing up to the frame. You can see the frame mounted bracket in the wheel well opening, forward of the tire.

My '99 Mountaineer 5.0 does, my '00 XLT SOHC does not.

The XLT has holes in the frame for the bolt on mounting bracket but does not have the welded on bracket on the axle housing.

I wouldn't expect to see them on any 91-95, no factory V8. But you might not have seen them on the later years because they don't look like the ones in that GM photo. They don't mount under the leaf springs, they go from the top of the axle housing up to the frame. You can see the frame mounted bracket in the wheel well opening, forward of the tire.

I only know about them from people posting on this forum.
I did a search of the forum and found plenty of references.

I didn't think I was imagining it.

shock and suspension set up

thanks for the info guys

Back