• Register Today It's free!

New shocks

Bacardi Mike

Reaction score
City, State
B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
I'm in need of new shocks. Now being new to explorers and 4x4's. I've been a t-bird owner for many years. How do I determine what brand/kind of shock do I need?
Here's my driving habits :
Hwy/City driving - Every day to work.
Off road - Maybe the odd weekend in the mountains to do some camping. These roads are mostly logging roads, but there are a few that are only accesable by 4x4.

My X - 96 XL 4dr. Brand new Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. LT235/75/15.

Thx,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go OEM if the shocks that are on it now suit you well (in your opinion). If not, my favorite recomendation is a Rancho 5000. Reasonably prices, and good all around shock.

There is alot of info and opinions on different shocks here. Try the search feature for shocks and you will find it all.

Just put on new Gabriel SVT's and they are OK - nothing to write home about - but they did stop the wallowing and they were cheaper than almost anything else.

If I did your kind of driving, I'd buy Tokiko, KYB, or bilstein. any of these are going to be a high quality shock, far better than any monroe, Gabriel, etc., and will cost you about the same.

Back