New tires

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi
I bought BF Goodrich All terrain t/a tires. Now I am getting a roaring noise from the tires. I have a 06 Explorer. Has anyone ran these tires before?

thanks

All terrain tires are inherently nosier than regular tires. The tires you installed have a fairly aggressive tread pattern. Some people find the noise acceptable but some find them to be too loud.

On my 2009 2x4 wheel drive I have 245 x 60 R18 tires. Cooper Evolution H/T tires. The H is for highway and the T is for terrain but I think that translates to "all season" rather than "All Terrain". They are M/S (mud / Snow) rated.

With in a month, the Evolution tires had a slight howl compared to the Continental CrossContact LX 20 tires that were on it when I bought it. The continentals delivered a smooth and quiet ride. However, the continentals would slip and slide some on dirt roads when there was also a light rain.

But now with about 10000 miles on them the Coopers howl noticeable which grows to a low roar when making any kind of turn to the right. It sounds like it is the left front tire howling. This is after I had the tires rotated. Before the rotation of the tires the truck had developed the low roar whenever you made a turn left or right.

Also my mileage when from 15 to 19.1 miles per gallon down to 11 to 14 miles per gallon. ... some of that is caused by my driving now leaning heavily toward street driving instead of extended highway driving.

So I don't think one should consider these tires unless you are going to be traveling on snow covered roads or dirt roads.

This may still be in my future.

------------------------------------------

So now I am wondering more about the roaring tires. But I think I need to start a separate thread for that.

Back