New to Explorers Thinking of buying this one. Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to Explorers Thinking of buying this one. Help

AdidasCU

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
I currently drive a FWD Audi A3 and would like something for the snow here in Denver. Also something that I don't have to worry about getting beat up by the dogs. This guy want $2000 for the below vehicle. Does it sound OK/worth it? He told me he has put in Manual locking hubs. Here is a PIC and the ad below it. I would really appreciate any feedback. I've heard the Auto trannys are nasty, but don't know about the manuals. Anything I should look for when I go look and drive it?

3n13p73o95Oa5Q25R99ap2fbfe12b277a1b91.jpg

Selling my 1994 Ford Explorer XLT, here's some information:

1994 Ford Explorer XLT
4 door
Grey interior(in excellent condition)
Teal exterior(rough around the edges, mostly scratches, couple dents, little rust, way better than most explores of this year)
4.0 V6 OHV
Manual Transmission
4X4

Service over the past couple years:
Manual Transmission(2 years ago)($2500)
Clutch(2 years ago done with transmission)
Power-steering gearbox(3 years ago)($450)
Brakes(2 years ago)($450)
K&N air filter($80, so its the nice one)
Air Conditioning(completely redone, $400)
Oil changes every 3k miles(last one was done today)
New Battery(1 year ago)
Plus more...

I'm one of those people that fixes a problem asap, i like my vehicles running in excellent condition whenever i start it.

Aftermarket stuff:
Stereo(MP3 Player with IPOD connection)(3 years ago)
Speakers(pioneer 280watts, all four speakers)(1 year ago)
Wheels(15in off-road wheel)(last month)
Tires(31.1050.15 BFG AT/KO)(last month)

About $1400 worth of aftermarket accessories!

Reason for selling: Have two cars and decided to let this one go.

I've decided i can sell my baby two ways, if you want the wheels & tires the price is $2000 firm.
Without the wheels & tires the price is $1000 firm, I do have the original wheels but they don't have tires on them, so you'll HAVE TO BUY TIRES.

Lastly this vehicle has 186,600 miles, but don't be fooled this vehicle is solid, and i would trust it to get me anywhere. This vehicle is great for a new driver or someone who doesn't want to get stuck in the snow, and if you want the tires and wheels on it, no chance of that happening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not saying that is a horrible price, but in the last 2 years, I've purchased 2 Explorers. The first was a '98 5.0 AWD with 76k miles for $3200, the second one I purchased over this past weekend, is an '01 5.0 AWD with 127k miles for $2477... $2758.20 out the door.

With that being said, I don't expect to find deals like these all the time. I've just been really fortunate. Most 1st Gen Explorers in my area are priced between $1500-$2500. Most 2nd Gen Explorers are between $2500-$6000.

Given that winter is approaching, I would expect to pay a little more for a 4x4 right now. If the Explorer checks out as you said it did and you feel comfortable with it, then I say go for it. The 5-speed manual paired with the 4.0ohv is tough. I would never attempt to buy a 4.0 automatic Explorer with that kind of mileage, nor would I buy a 4.0sohc with that kind of mileage unless it had the timing chain tensioners replaced. Of course, you don't need to worry about any of that.

I'd just price out some new rubber on the original rims and go for it if everything works well. Check the fan, heater, AC, lights, 4wd, hi/low. Don't drive it more than a 5-10' in 4wd on pavement though and in a straight line. As long as everything seems to work pretty good and the interior isn't trashed I'd probably do it.

I hope my 2 cents are worth 2 cents.

I bough my 94 ATX two years ago from a guy (Mechanic) who did the kind of things that this guy has done.
It had 270,000 km's on it, and like this one, had some dings, scratches and light rust. Now has 306,000 km's.
I bought it for $1,500.00 Canadian.

What a deal!!! This truck runs great (on high octane) it's the most reliable truck/car I have ever owned. And SNOW.... doesn't hamper this beast. The 94's had upgraded parts from FORD and runs better and last longer than the 91-92's.
If this guy has truly done these mod's / fixes, then i'd say, with my experience, that I'd do it.
The only difference is that one is a MTX. My ATX has worked great since the day I got it, and the factory AUTO hubs still work (With a bit of cleaning)
My 2 cents.... GET IT!

Hope this helps.

G.

I own a 94 explorer eddie bauer edition and JBL audio i bought mine for $750 and it has 206 k miles and ive only paid to put in a altenator, radiator hose and battery and mines runs strong. Mines has a pretty good interior, leather, but the outside looks almost the same except i have a lil rust over each rear wheel well and right below the rear doors and thats it. I'd say go for it.

You should check the radius arm bushings. They are not expensive if you do the work yourself, but if you pay someone it's very labor intensive. Make sure the 4x4 works properly. For $1000, I'd let him keep his wheels and tires, and get new tires for the factory wheels.

Also, you might want to run a carfax on the vin to check the history.

Back