New (to me) '08 Explorer. Issues to look for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New (to me) '08 Explorer. Issues to look for?

davidbaggett

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Contour 2.5 V6
Hi!
I'm about to be given an '08 Explorer 2wd V6 XLT with 114,000 mi. Its currently my mom's and she is very meticulous about having preventative maintenance done, and has kept all records on it from day 1. From reading on here, my understanding is that it has the 5R55W 5 speed auto trans and that this trans can be somewhat of a problem child (she did mention the other day that the trans sometimes is "clunky"). Besides the trans are there any other known issues I should look out for on the '08s?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any tips or things I should be looking to replace? Problem child issues?

Same powertrain as the 2nd gen sport trac. If you would like to see anything that could possibly go wrong have a look at my "Anything else to look forward to?" thread over in the sport trac forum.

Same powertrain as the 2nd gen sport trac. If you would like to see anything that could possibly go wrong have a look at my "what can I expect next" thread over in the sport trac forum.

Thanks for the heads up!

Leaky radiators can be a problem but Ford may have fixed that in 2007.

Leaky radiators can be a problem but Ford may have fixed that in 2007.

Thanks! She has owned it since new & I think she still had the original radiator in it, so i feel like the radiator would have started leaking by now (its got around 114,000 mi). So maybe they did change the design for the '08 & up...i'll have to do some more research. :)

Back