New to this> 2wd 4wd conversion 2nd gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to this> 2wd 4wd conversion 2nd gen?

amigodana

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exp 2WD conv. to 4WD
:exp:I have seen and researched a little about this already. However, my stupid question is this, I have a 98' Ford explorer 2wd with 5.0 and I just bought a 97' ford explorer 4.0 4wd for real cheap! The 97' is a real piece of you know what. So I just want to see what other people think. Will everything on the 97', concerning all the 4wd suspension parts and related brackets, simply just bolt up to the 98'? I am especially concerned with using the transfer case, being as it is coming off a 4.0 going on to a 5.0?:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

lots of work, whole front end has to go on it, and than there will be an issue with the transmission and t case attatching to each other,, the 5.0 and 4.0 are different trans,
not impssible to do, but alot of work,

Time & $$ for this mod.

Search..search..search this forum for threads covering this subject.

Read...read...read, those threads for the info already here, covering all the info your needing.

Half the fun is figuring this out on your own. It's free info, but you have to do work on your end to get it.

Parts of it will work and others won't. You'll be able to use the differential (if it has the same gear ratio) the knuckles, the cv axles and rotors. I'm not sure if the driveshaft is the same length but I highly doubt it. And then you will need to by an AWD transmission from a v8 explorer and then use the awd transfer case, or put in a manual 4406 transfer case.

Back