2WD to 4WD conversion; 98 Sport | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2WD to 4WD conversion; 98 Sport

Hope this swap is going good I'm wanting to do it my exploder is a 98 with the 4.0 ohv 5speed my plan was to change te output shaft and get the housing idk if that will work tho I'm new to 4x4 and I don't mean to high jack the thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really a hijack, more of an exhumation. ;)

Well I'm needing insite on this swap I got my explorer free a d won't have a prob spending a grand on this swap but the way I can think of it it seems bolt in but iv never seen a second gen explorer 4x4 but I assume I have the mounts for a front diff there is provisions from the way it looks and I'm still unclear on what t case to use I found a output shaft and houseing extension but I just want every ones .2 I price the stuff at a salvage yard I'm looking for the whole front diff with hubs 200$ and tranny 100$ and t case 75$ and 40$ for drive shaft but that's there price list the have lots of explorers just if I can find one with everything

Well I'm needing insite on this swap I got my explorer free a d won't have a prob spending a grand on this swap but the way I can think of it it seems bolt in but iv never seen a second gen explorer 4x4 but I assume I have the mounts for a front diff there is provisions from the way it looks and I'm still unclear on what t case to use I found a output shaft and houseing extension but I just want every ones .2 I price the stuff at a salvage yard I'm looking for the whole front diff with hubs 200$ and tranny 100$ and t case 75$ and 40$ for drive shaft but that's there price list the have lots of explorers just if I can find one with everything

I would guess the mounting holes are the same. I have a 1st gen, and I know the 2 and 4wd are close in mounting points. Where are you at in OK?

To the OP, I'm glad I wasn't the only one with thoughts of a 2wd to 4wd conversion.

Trade me your 2wd components for my 4wd! i need 2wd

I am thinking about doing a similar thing but with a 5.0. Right now I have a 98 4.0 AWD in need of a new engine. Im getting a 96 5.0 2wd and Im going to swap out the V8 and the tranny. Im basically going from AWD/4x4 to 2wd. Like I said my current vehicle is AWD/4x4, but after the swap I will be 2wd because of the donor vehicle. What do I need to make it 4x4. I have looked into the 4406. Could I take a 4406 and get front and rear drive shafts? Or could i take the Tcase from a V8 4x4 and the drive shafts and make that work?

Back