New tyres needed......... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New tyres needed.........

fcat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 5.0 V8 Limited
Im in need of 4 new Tyres and want to go 265/70/16 have Goodyear Wrangler AP on at the moment and they are the original tyres that came with Ex i think.

I dont do and dont plan to do any off roading at all so am looking for the quiestest road tyres, dont want remoulds or cheapos but dont want to go over £100 each, anyone any suggestions ?

cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For pure street:
1. BFG Macadam
2. Kumho KL12/STX or 798
3. General Grabber HP/UHP

Those tyres above would be comparable if not better than the Goodyear AP

Moderate All Terrain = "mellow" tyres
1. Kumho KL78
2. Falken FK/AT
3. Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 :uk:

Those 3 tyres above should have a quiet street ride, good road handling, good all around traction including snow and within your £ budget

I'm sure there's a lot more like Michelin's, Pirellis and even the highly recommended BFG All Terrain TA/KO but I do believe they are quiet a little bit more

Sorry I think I watched too much of Mark Evans the other day :chug:

cheers for the info

Was just looking at the BFG Macadam and will check the others out you suggested:)
thanks again
Si

I've been looking for tyres too, i've always been a fan of toyo tyres though had car tyres never bought them for 4x4.

Camskill seem to do good prices, has anyone used them or know of another good place to go?

After looking round it seems everyone says Camskill ARE the cheapest however this place cheap and includes mobile fitting at your work or house!

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

I paid £90 each for Toyo Open Country H/T 3 years ago.

Very quiet.

You can have white letters showing or not as they are not directional.

Kev.

can you let me know which ones ? the 111T 112T or the 111H ?

There is a tread here somewhere regarding the Toyo HT. Granted, you seem to be looking for a pure street tire and the HT would definitely fit that. However, there seem to be some issues even with on-street performance.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241090

Toyo Generally makes good tires - but as with similar manufacturers, they will always have a cheaper tire that will underperform. Personally I cannot speak for the HT since all I know about them is based on what I've read. The Tread pattern is very similar to the AP so I guess the final decision will fall on their handling.

On the opposite side of the coin, the Toyo AT and MT are excellent tire but they are "too much tire" / too aggressive for your needs.

I would certainly look at Dunlops (wouldn't they be cheaper there)?
The Grandtrek AT3 are ok tyres. I personally have a set of Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT (although I am not sure if they are available there). You can check tirerack.com for a good comprehensive comparison of different tires based on different categories.

Just booked for 4 new General Grabber UHT tyres to be fitted at home on Wednesday, £332 :) cheers for all the help

Are you changing from 255 to 265 ? Or does 265 fit on a standard rim? thanks

Yes, am changing from 255 to 265/70/16 which i believe fits the standard rims!

please post 'results' of fitting service and how you rate the tyres....

and i'll just wait a mo...see what happens!

watching also... that seems a great price

Got a call this morning from the tyre guy to say he'd be here at 12, he arrived at 11:45, real nice guy, opened van up and i saw he had 235/70/16 tyres! he called the office whom re booked me for Friday afternoon, seems the guy that took the order on the phone on Saturday thought i sadi 235's (hence the cheaper price than on the website!)

Will let you know how they are when he comes back Friday, price is now £356 as per website, still cheap, plus he said he would "static balance" them so no need for wieghts on the rim

I run 265/75/16's on mine.... but they're Bronco Grizzly Claws.. they were £350 delivered... but they make a hell of a racket on the road and you can't go fast with them on, they're hell to balance.... but off road... they're awesome!

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to drop in on the end of this - and as somebody mentioned Camskills - it's probably worth considering BFG T/A's. I say this because I know somebody who has these on his Navaras and they do quite a mix of road/offroad work and a lot of mileage.

They're around £100 a corner BUT he's getting in excess of 40k out of a set! I have to say at that, I'd be well chuffed. Plus they're perfectly well-behaved on the road an deffective off road.

Back