New versus reflowed fuel injectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New versus reflowed fuel injectors

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
Found a sale going on where brand new injectors by Standard Motor Company are running $26 an injector. The local speed shop charges $20 to reflow old ones. Is it worth it to buy brand new for only $6 more each? Let me know. Thanks guys

4.0 SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$20 to reflow them and they should be flow matched.
$26 for new, they aren't flow matched.

My $$ would be for the flow match, put the rest in your pocket.

thanks guys!! I didn't know they didn't come flow matched from the company. I was willing to spend the extra $$ if it was worth it, but I guess not. Thanks!

This was on the bot... If you can find a 6 pack for the SOHC, those would be remanned and flow matched...

This was on the bot... If you can find a 6 pack for the SOHC, those would be remanned and flow matched...

thank you sir! I have been looking for something like this. I searched around ebay and couldn't find anything, but this points me in a good direction. I emailed a few sellers on there to see if they can find me anything

Got this back from a seller with good feedback on ebay. Sound legit?

Dear theodessa,

THEY ARE ACTUALLY VERY RARE, BUT I DO HAVE THEM, EMAIL ME AT ******@GMAIL.COM INCLUDE A COPY OF OUR PREVIOUS EMAIL IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THEM, THE BEST PRICE I CAN DO ON THEM IS $100 BUT THAT CAN INCLUDE SHIPPING, JUST EMAIL ME FOR DETAILS.
MIKE

What lb. injectors is he selling you?

I don't think Explorer fuel injectors are rare... :)

Might be remanned and flow-matched ready to ship are rare... If he has good feedback, might be ok, but I'd find a few other sellers to check his work. I think he's marking you up becasue you asked him if he had them, he knows you need them...

good question. And that seller is actually the seller in the post posted above so he has really good feedback. I will ask him exactly the lb. Please hold :)

What LB should it be??

Just got this back from the place after asking on details and LB of the injector

Hello Curtis, I am sorry for the delay over the holiday, I am STILL working on emails from this weekend trying to catch up ( this has turned into a 15 hour workday thus far and still going ) by memory I do not know the lb per hour, only the part number... I can look this up tomorrow for you. I do know it uses a miniature bosch injector that is much smaller than the standard size, and therefore most of the common units do not fit physically into the fuel rail / intake assembly. As far as making payment, send me your email address used by paypal ( NOT PASSWORD ) and I can send an invoice for them. Or you can wait a few days and I will get a listing on ebay for you to purchase through ebay, but I will have to adjust the price slightly there for the associated fee's with doing so.

XL2F-AB or XL2F-AA are the factory part numbers, if you go online tonight you can probably find the flow rating, although please understand there are always variances between others flow testing, due to the individual tested injectors ( factory variance is sickening ) and a non-correctly working unit can also skew the tesing especially over an average reading. As the PSI ( fuel pressure ) increases / decreases the flow also changes accordingly.

Thank you for your patience Curtis and have a good evening,
Mike

They should be 19lb/hr injectors if I'm not mistaken. (19.5 technically :))

All of the Bosch/Ford injectors are color coded, but make sure they send the right size/fitting which sounds like they are...

Gray- 14lb/hr
Yellow- 19lb/hr
Blue- 24lb/hr
Red- are 30lb/hr
Green- 42lb/hr
Browns~ 70 lb/hr, but not positive.

One more injector color to add...

They should be 19lb/hr injectors if I'm not mistaken. (19.5 technically :))

All of the Bosch/Ford injectors are color coded, but make sure they send the right size/fitting which sounds like they are...

Gray- 14lb/hr
Yellow- 19lb/hr
Blue- 24lb/hr
Red- are 30lb/hr
Green- 42lb/hr
Browns~ 70 lb/hr, but not positive.

If the Explorer is a California spec truck it will have white injectors that are rated at 12.7 lb/hr...And changing them out without reprogramming the PCM WILL result in a CEL for a rich fuel mixture...

To the question from Afboy143 I had my original injectors flow matched, cleaned and remanufactured and I paid $72 for the service... I did have a few extra injectors and sent them to the shop to rebuild and they found 6 that were close to equal then serviced those 6... They also checked the rest of the injectors I sent[I had 16 of them] and rated them as good for rebuild or not and what the flow rates were...

Good post ranger- I forgot about the California spec stuff. HERE is a thread about them...

California... Yeah.

Geez- sounds like I need to just get my stock injectors remanned and forget buying them off ebay.

Hey Ranger- got any flowmatched injectors laying around for our truck you don’t want :p

A local shop wants to charge $20 per injector to get flow matched and cleaned. Seems steep to me, plus they aren’t the best with communicating

Look for a semi truck service center, or a diesel shop... One around me charges $10 per injector...

Geez- sounds like I need to just get my stock injectors remanned and forget buying them off ebay.

Hey Ranger- got any flowmatched injectors laying around for our truck you don’t want :p

A local shop wants to charge $20 per injector to get flow matched and cleaned. Seems steep to me, plus they aren’t the best with communicating

What color or part number on your original injectors? I have a few 19 lb/hr injectors but they are not flow matched...Are you interested in them?

Their charge for the service is high and I can find the shops' email that did the service...$10-$12/injector is more inline with a reasonable charge for injector imho...

Just remember this service cost will involve you removing and replacing them onto your engine...If the shop does the work, I can guarantee the cost goes higher...

What color or part number on your original injectors? I have a few 19 lb/hr injectors but they are not flow matched...Are you interested in them?

Their charge for the service is high and I can find the shops' email that did the service...$10-$12/injector is more inline with a reasonable charge for injector imho...

Just remember this service cost will involve you removing and replacing them onto your engine...If the shop does the work, I can guarantee the cost goes higher...

I would possibly be interested if you have all 6. I was reading in my haynes manual and doing the work myself (replacing injectors) doesn't look that hard.

As far as the color or part number, I am not sure. I was reading on Rockauto.com that all injectors are the same except CA spec trucks which mine isn't. Mine is a Florida born and living truck.

Back