New way to lower the front end

RTStork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 5.0L 2WD
I have been talking to a guy named Gene who said he lowered his Explorer 5" front and 4" back. He used blocks out back but on the front he said "You will
need 2 jacks to do this. 1st you jack the truck up and with the 2nd jack you jack up onto the torsion bar to relax the bar and bolt. Take the bolt all the way out and flip the part that rides against the bolt. Now put the bolt
back in and turn it a few times. Now lower all the jacks and start adjusting the bolt." Does this sound ok to try or not? Heres a pic of his Explorer. It looks great.

gene.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think this is the way they do it over at Explorer Underground. This "new" method has been kept under raps, or so I've been told by a few of the members. Here's an example:

mike.jpg

Owned by Mike Coates, lowered 5 inches all around. I talked to him before about his lowering, but all he would tell me was that he used blocks in the back. He would not tell me anything about the front end. I asked him about the ride quality, and he said he did it in a way were the truck could be lowered, but he could still retain some suspension, which meant a not-so-bad ride.

You may have it the jackpot here.

that sounds like the best way to do it. i like lowered cars and trucks, but a lowered suv just looks like a station wagon to me. just my opinion.:)

Originally posted by Hartman
I think this is the way they do it over at Explorer Underground. This "new" method has been kept under raps, or so I've been told by a few of the members.
You may have it the jackpot here.

I'm still wondering if it makes the alignment way off and if so, can it be corrected or will it be too far off?

Well, once you do this I'm sure you'd need an alignment right after. Once you get an alignment I'm sure it'll be OK, just like any other car. BTW, how can I contact Gene?

i am not sure about the alignment.... when you lift it that much with a kit you change parts that correct the steering and toe/camber.....when you drop it using those same stock parts...i am sure something gets really jacked up....

Originally posted by Hartman
Well, once you do this I'm sure you'd need an alignment right after. Once you get an alignment I'm sure it'll be OK, just like any other car. BTW, how can I contact Gene?

You still think it could be aligned after such a drastic change like a 5" drop? If Gene emails me back, I'll get his email address for you. I'm waitin on a reply from him on how his alignment went.

Originally posted by leenjen
that sounds like the best way to do it. i like lowered cars and trucks, but a lowered suv just looks like a station wagon to me. just my opinion.:)
im with you on that! i was with my mom the other day and she saw a lowered S-10 Blazer and thought it was a station wagon at first.

Does that truck have tires or just wheels?

Haha sorry had to ask.

i may seriously consider this, can't wait to hear about the alignment.

when i first bought my ex a couple months ago, i was considering the EE kit. after the obvious sticker shock and before i FINALLY found this fine message board, i searched the internet for a cheaper solution. ingalls offers camber and caster parts for the ex. perhaps it will take both to properly align an ex after such a drop?

that sounds like the best way to do it. i like lowered cars and trucks, but a lowered suv just looks like a station wagon to me. just my opinion.

well, i did read an article about explorers on an internet site somewhere that claimed that suv's were enjoying the same popularity in the 90's that the station wagon did in the 50's and 60's,lol.

i have an original idea to kill the wagon look, but i'm keeping quiet for the same reason those guys with this lowering idea probably did.

they probably just wanted their ride to be original for awhile(noone w/ a custom ride likes to see themselves pass by on the road or parked next to them at a show) and may have wanted to make some money off of the idea locally. after all, look at the money explorer express is making off of thier "lowering kits" .

realisticly, i probably won't be able to make any money off of it personally, but I WILL be the first to do it. and i'll either get laughed at, or it'll start a trend.
it wouldn't be the first time for either case:D

i'll post pics after i get my tax check.

With a drop that low I would suspect alignment problems. AS Jimabena74 said, you would need something to set the camber on the truck. i know because my Mustang has a 3" drop and once I installed the adjustable cambers it aligned right up.

You will be able to get it close but i doubt you will get it dead on.

Ok guys heres the scoop. You will need the caster and camber kit to get the front end aligned. It won't be perfect but it will be real close. Shouldn't cause any premature tire wear. I am going to look into it next time I have my explorer on the ramps at my next oil change.

I don't get the part about the second jack. If you jack up the front by the crossmember, so the wheels are hanging, doesn't that take the pressure off the torsion bar? If not, where exactly does the second jack go?

this sounds interesting, but why doesn't his x look as low as that drop should make it? i've known that some of the x underground guys had done something like this, but i just don't think it's worth the trouble. since a 2 or even a 3 inch drop will allow much better ride quality and looks about the same to me.

Attachments

• not cool.jpg
    not cool.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 674

pics of my 2 and a little, 2 inch drop for comparisons purposes. i don't know what size tires and rims that x has, but to me it doesn't really look lower than mine

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 636

in my opinion, the green ex is dropped approx 5".

i can definately tell the difference. compare the ground clearance of the side skirts of the green ex and expo5.0's.

also if you notice, the green ex's STOCK airdam is as low to the ground as expo5.0's aftermarket piece?

did anyone see the pics of the two white ex's at explorerunderground? one of them is on the EE website gallery with the front on the ground. judging by the pics, i think they used the same lowering method as the green ex, but turned their t-bar adjusterbolts tighter giving them approx. 3" of drop.

why do i think this?
because they look just a little lower than any pic of an ex that i've seen with a claimed drop of 1 1/2--2". plus the white ex that is also on EE's site is shown there with the front as low as the green ex,but sits higher on explorerunderground. i'm also willing to bet that the one w/ the aftermarket airdam has 18" wheels, while the other has 20" wheels. unfortunately exunderground is being updated right now(it's always down for changes, which is why i don't like the site. they could at least give access to what was there before while they add new stuff, instead of shutting it all down) so i don't have access to the pics or info on the owners

i hope i'm right about the white ex's, because i want 3" of drop. no more, no less.

yeah, i agree its more of a drop. i just don't think that it looks enough lower or better for me to consider that option and have much lessened ride quality and stuff. those sports you are talking about look nice though. if you are trying to do something like that i can't wait to see what you come up with.

one more thing. he is parked on grass which makes a big difference. my x is parked on grass, covered in storage righ now since i'm home in minnesota for another week, and it definitely looks a ton lower. also it's on my uncles yard which is pretty flat and the grass isn't to long and about half of the things which hang down from my x are actually in the grass right now. if i had more of a drop i would need to redo my exhaust and everything that hangs down below the axles or else it couldn't even function as a daily driver.

has anyone found any new info about this?

does it really work?

could you tighten the torsion adjuster bolts and get a 3" drop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tightening the bolts will get you 1 1/2-2 inches MAX. I've spoken with many on the EUnderground site that say this method works.

Back