Newbie to PIU life (2015 PIU), looking for carpet. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie to PIU life (2015 PIU), looking for carpet.

I looking into those type of anchors too and decided they would only work if glued to the vinyl flooring or a hole was drilled through the anchor clips and they were riveted to the plastic flooring. After looking at it, I decided one would risk ripping the flooring if you pulled too hard on the floor mat (I often change in the drivers seat after a muddy mountain bike ride and could easily see this happening). In the end, my 6+ months of use with the Nanno products mats have been good with minimal wear or sliding around.

Peterk9 - thanks for the welcome from another Peter, K3OG
Do you happen to have a link to those floormats @K3OG ? I'm not able to find any on the Nenno site

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you happen to have a link to those floormats @K3OG ? I'm not able to find any on the Nenno site
Wow... I just realized that was a link up there. Feel free to pretend this never happened! :laugh:

Itay1988 - I'm also new to the forum but have been lurking since the end of 2020 when I picked up my 2016 PIU (a former Washington state patrol PIU). I purchased my custom floor mats from Nenno Products and have been very happy with them (as well as the black spotlight hole sticker/cover). I also added an aftermarket center console, auto headlights (requires a light sensor, new switch, and ForScan), a couple of ham radio antennas and radios that switch from the 4-switch steering wheel controls, rear doors that open from the inside, rear speakers that aren't actually closed in the door panel, 2nd row headrests, pet cover for the cargo area, a rear tailgate that unlocks with the rest of the car, tow hitch, and bolted on Yakima roof rack. Still a few more mods in the works for me but here is the link to the carpets I've been happy with:

K3OG de WE4VER - howdy from another Seattle-area ham!

Wasn't sure that WE4VER was a call sign when I first saw it nor that K3OG was. Just looked them up and verified them.

Peter

Wasn't sure that WE4VER was a call sign when I first saw it nor that K3OG was. Just looked them up and verified them.

Peter
Funny how many hams are buying PIUs! I guess we like projects. :) And we have long-suffering spouses... 😂

K3OG de WE4VER - howdy from another Seattle-area ham!
Fantastic! I may have to pick your brain as I start making similar adjustments to my 2020 PIU. I've been holding back since I had some trouble getting a salvage title finalized in Georgia. But it's all clear now and I'm starting to add radios and antennas, starting with a Motorola APX7500 VHF/UHF1 dual band.
Rick
N4RAH
(Sorry for the rainy day photo)

20210629_131959.jpg

Any 2011+ ham radio guys??
Hadn't seen it - thanks, Peter! Although it looks like no one has said anything in a couple of years. :)

Fantastic! I may have to pick your brain as I start making similar adjustments to my 2020 PIU. I've been holding back since I had some trouble getting a salvage title finalized in Georgia. But it's all clear now and I'm starting to add radios and antennas, starting with a Motorola APX7500 VHF/UHF1 dual band.
Rick
N4RAH
(Sorry for the rainy day photo)

View attachment 340022
That's the nice thing about these used PIUs - someone else already drilled the roof holes. My next project: drop the headliner and route some RG58 from the two NMO antenna mounts to the dash.

Funny how many hams are buying PIUs! I guess we like projects. :) And we have long-suffering spouses... 😂
Yep, it's harder to recognize some I'd the newer ones.
On another subject, do any if you guys have a link to the step-by-step procedure for dropping the headliner in a 2020 PIU?
I was told they made it easier in 2020... but as we all know, there are different levels of "easier".
Rick
N4RAH

Back