Newby From Va.

Todderr

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond,Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
Hey Guy's,

This site is awsome!! Been looking at a lot of the posts and trying to decide what I want to do to my Explorer I'm getting for FREE from my Father-in-law!! The Specs are 1994 Explorer Limited with 82k miles everything is stock. This Truck will be my Hunting/Play thing. I'm thinking of putting a body 3" or suspension 4-5" lift with 32 - 33's on it. Don't want to spend alot of money but want something that is good quality. Also thinking about Gears, lockers and maybe a winch. Any ideas or info would help.

Thanks again,
Todd

auto or manual?

Gears, gears, gears! you can never be too low! well, yes you can, but its nothing you wont enjoy =)

My recommodation is to get the 4" or 6" skyjacker class II Ranger kit, its the same as the explorer kit. With the 4" lift you will need lift springs for the rear, for the 6" you will need to do what is commonly refered as a SOA

The Skyjacker kit is hands-down the toughest kit avalible for the explorer/ttb. It is quite expensive also. $1000 is about right.

33"s and 4.10 or 4.56 gears with the skjacker kit will do you right.

Trany is an auto, don't know what gears it has. So what your saying is the lift for the Ranger will work on an Explorer? What year in the Ranger would I need to get? If I put a 8-9k Lb. winch and a new bumper up front is this this going to sag enough to too need need coil spacers? Bear with on all of the questions, I'm just excited about the Ex and building it up.

yes, the 87-96 (something like that?) rangers lift will be interchangeable with the exlorer, atleast from skyjacker.

Look in the Off-Road Adventures magisine, they have the best price for the kit, unless you can buy it used.

But mainly what i was trying to say is, do the gears the same time you lift. Your tranny wont hold up forever against big tires and little gears. If you have 3.73 you can get away with it, but if you have 3.27 then you should swap to a lower (numerically higher) ratio. 4.10 or 4.56 is preferable for 33's. Your Auto tranny can handle the 4.10s fine, torque multipication. 4.56 would more advisable if you had the manual tranny, it has a more broad gear set.

Im not sure about the winch deal

Back