• Register Today It's free!

newby looking for an explorer

hotrodguy

Reaction score
City, State
gloucester
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 north face
hi all iv just had my pajero written off as some **** pulled out infront of me any how we are looking at getting an explorer to replace it , we have found a north face edition with 73,000 on the clock & looking to have it converted to lpg with an under floor tank system & was wondering if there is any thing i should be looking out for common faults ect you're help greatfully accepeted Guy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Hotrodguy. Timing chains have bitten most of us, one way or another. Listen for a metallic tinkling sound, especially at cold start and idle. See if they've got receipts for replacement of the chains. They're also prone to myriad electrical problems so just check all gadgets and electrical systems work. They're a comfortable and pretty nifty vehicle if you get a good one. GRoB.

I bought a 2000 NF about 11 months ago and love it.

First things I had done were a full service and have LPG fitted, with a 90l tank underneath. I think the LPG conversion has already recovered it's cost (around £1700 I think).

I also had to have a lot of the front bushes, new front discs and front shocks replaced, even though it came with a full MOT.

Welcome t the Forum. Do have a good read of the forum for info and tips. Also don't be afraid to have a peak at our American cousins as much of the 'know how' and 'how to' stuff applies to us as well.

I'd check suspension carefully as ball joints, tie rod ends, bushes etc. can be expensive to buy in the UK although fitting isn't that bad. D see if the self levelling rear suspension is working and the ATF fluid too. If the car is sound mechanically you should be OK!

Good choice going for an explorer over another pajero! Big, petrol engine with bags of power, apart from chains, the engnies are bomb proof and still better MPG than the pajero, 2.8td and 2.5td!

The self levelling suspension is the only main thing I can think of, it can be a really simple 'clip it back on' fix or a quite expensive new rear shocks fix.

how much did you pay? wheels look good what size. a few things to check:

00M12 kit if not done do it asap to save future bills.

upper suspension parts

hand brake usually **** may need adjusting or small parts rebuild easy job.

suck out the transmission fluid and change asap most likely never been done.

all the parts for these are available neither on ebay or ask here. seriously don't get anything from ford uk and try to do most of the stuff your self and the cost will be low.

checkout this link for help and advice on repairs

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

hope all goes well.
cheers
Onetime

got it for £1650 so very happy with the price i have put a very small deposit on the car that i am preppered to loose if its no good i will walk away...
Guy

I do like the look of them later type seats. Nice looking EX.

thanx kevin we picked it up today ( bankhol monday ) we are very pleased with it , i have a few thing to sort out ie the rear wiper not working & a good valet inside & out but on the whole very happy with my explorer . all i need now is a dog guard if anyone knows of one it would be much appreciated
regards Guy

thanx kevin we picked it up today ( bankhol monday ) we are very pleased with it , i have a few thing to sort out ie the rear wiper not working & a good valet inside & out but on the whole very happy with my explorer . all i need now is a dog guard if anyone knows of one it would be much appreciated
regards Guy
Glad you like it.

There are Ford, explorer specific dog guards that are a perfect fit and rest on the window shelf rather than the floor. I sold mine on ebay for £9 :eek:
They come up occasionally on there. Might be worth giving Justin at explorerpartsuk a call (he sells on ebay, based in newport), he may have one laying around but it will be costly to ship.

how much did you pay? wheels look good what size. a few things to check:

00M12 kit if not done do it asap to save future bills.

upper suspension parts

hand brake usually **** may need adjusting or small parts rebuild easy job.

suck out the transmission fluid and change asap most likely never been done.

all the parts for these are available neither on ebay or ask here. seriously don't get anything from ford uk and try to do most of the stuff your self and the cost will be low.

checkout this link for help and advice on repairs

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

hope all goes well.
cheers
Onetime
the wheels are 8.5x18 not sure what they are off but they are ome from another make as i recognise the casting name on them..... Guy

whats the casting name? i will do a search

That's a nice looking Explorer. The wheels look really cool :D

Back