Newby Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newby Question

joedekock

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, MI
I also posted this in the new members forum, but wanted to make sure I am tapping all the experience I can, so I posted here as well.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a 2002 Explorer 4X4 with the 4.6 V8. It is the Eddie Bauer Edition and is in immaculate condition with 81000 miles. From what I can tell on different websites, the gas mileage I can expect is 13 city and 17 highway averaging 15. I am curious to know if those numbers are what others around here have experienced. Also any known problems that are common for this age Explorer approaching 100,000 miles.

I plan to modify it like others around here are doing to get better fuel economy. I used to have a 97 Tahoe and with the K&N cone air filter, chip reprogrammer and synthetic fluids, and I got it to average 18 mpg with 21mpg on the highway! Not bad for a 5.7 liter. What kind of mpg can I expect by putting the cone K&N air filter on this Explorer with synthetic fluids. And is there a chip reprogrammer I can get for it?

A known Problem with the 96-99 Tahoe's and Suburban's was a gasket would wear out at around 80,000-100,000 miles and allow coolent to start leaking into the heads. That was a $700 fix. Is there any big issues to expect with the 2002 Explorers in the 80-100,000 mile range?

Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

I deleted your post in the New Member Forum as double posting is not allowed.

14-15city, 19-20highway is average

take it on the highway and run it between 55 and 70mph and listen for the rear end whine.

Not to be a downer, but I would quietly walk away from any 2002 model explorer. I have a 2002 EB in IMMACULATE condition, meaning it looks great, but the mechanicals are not up to par. My steering shifter just broke and now I have to pay $600 just for the part. A couple of months back my 4x4 control module fried due to a design defect. It cost me $300. The rear differential is starting to whine and it's starting to bind when turning. The engine timing chain tensior is rattling like a bunch of marbles!
Check around to see, but I think the 04 and ups have the design defects worked out. I'm not up on par with the fixed explorers because I am done with Ford after this truck.
Sorry, but it's MY truth. Others will vary.:thumbsup:

Not to be a downer, but I would quietly walk away from any 2002 model explorer. I have a 2002 EB in IMMACULATE condition, meaning it looks great, but the mechanicals are not up to par. My steering shifter just broke and now I have to pay $600 just for the part. A couple of months back my 4x4 control module fried due to a design defect. It cost me $300. The rear differential is starting to whine and it's starting to bind when turning. The engine timing chain tensior is rattling like a bunch of marbles!
Check around to see, but I think the 04 and ups have the design defects worked out. I'm not up on par with the fixed explorers because I am done with Ford after this truck.
Sorry, but it's MY truth. Others will vary.:thumbsup:

true...i had 92,000 miles on my 02 and never had major issues with it..only window motor problem. it drove nice, looked nice and was priced right. i did decide to to go a 05 just because it was newer and had alot less miles (priced good too and had 4x4)

Check the rear coil springs, they seem to break up near the top. I would probably stay away from the 02 as well, might want to go with a newer model

Back