Next Gen 2 dr Explorer will be Bronco? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next Gen 2 dr Explorer will be Bronco?

mac66

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling Hts Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
From www.blueovalnews.com

>BRONCO
We've received a couple of comments concerning the next generation Explorer. First, a two
door version will not be produced - that is wearing the Explorer nameplate. It is very likely
that the next generation two door Explorer will be graced with the Bronco nameplate. .
.which makes a lot of sense since the original Bronco's were much smaller than the
F-Series. We've also heard that since Chevrolet will introduce a convertible Blazer next
year, Ford might just follow suit. The two and four door Explorers will share similar
components; however, will have different body styles.>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, that was kicked around back before the 2001 Sport came out, and it was untrue. I have a sneaking suspicion that will be the case this time also.

2 dr explorer will be bronco?

Mac66,
I looked on blue oval news but was unable to find any info about the reintroduction of the bronco. How long ago did you get that info? I hope ford goes through with it.

That story from BON is pretty old...I remember seeing it over a year ago, got very excited, then...NOTHING (as usual).

Now that I own a 1976 Classic/Early Bronco, I'd hate to see them simply slap a Bronco badge on some version of an Explorer Sport. If they do bring back a modern version of the Early (1966-77) Bronco as a "Wrangler Fighter", I'd want to see them remain true to its heritage, truly challenging and surpassing the Jeep Wrangler TJ as the best stock fourwheeler available. My wish list of key features/options, trying to be realistic and include existing/readily available parts, includes but is not limited to:

Dana 44 Coil-Sprung SOLID FRONT AXLE
8.8" Rear Axle
4.6L V8
NV4500 "Granny Overdrive" 5-Speed Manual Transmission
Atlas II Transfer Case
Factory Locking Differentials
Roll Bar/Cage
33x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains - As a minimum I'd settle for 31x10.5
STEEL Low-Profile Bumpers
Tow Hooks
Bed-Lined/Washable interior - carpet delete option.
100" or less wheelbase

Sorry, but I never pass up an opportunity to push my wish list when there's a chance Ford might be snooping!

The latest Bronco rumor is that they're bringing it back in 2003 as a 2-door short wheelbase Excursion, so it'd be a return of the "Big Bronco" (1978-96). Supposedly Chevy's new K5 Blazer, apparently slated for 2003 release, is making them counter with a new Bronco, or "Excursion Baja" as the concept is rumored to be called.

next gen bronco

I definately agree with your wish list. Out of curiousity, have you seen the Ford X prototype? Looks sorta like a dune buggy. I would like to see the bronco on the excursion platform ( solid axles ) I would definately need to find some way to get one.

Ex Concept

Yeah, I've seen it. I personally prefer something a little more "conventional"...again, take the Early Bronco as a concept and modernize it...SIMPLE, TOUGH, FUNCTIONAL. The Wrangler TJ is, unfortunately, the only thing in this category right now. I still don't understand why they continue to let Jeep/DC run away with this market...they sell to both the function/off-road crowd as well as the image-mongers...I believe it's in the 80,000+ vehicles-sold range....

BUT, I was encouraged that Ford would even introduce an off-road-focused concept, rather than a cool-looking grocery-getter.

I'd also be pleased with a Super Duty/Excursion-based Big Bronco...I just want BOTH...Big Bronco AND Classic Bronco/Wrangler Fighter!

Back